Official Review: Another Book of Mormons

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Official Review: Another Book of Mormons

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Another Book of Mormons" by Paul Raymond Reid.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Eugene Lannon is a writer looking for a scoop and some direction in his life. He seems to find both in the Mormon community, led by the Prophet Brigham Young. Alongside his wife, Abigail, and a painter, Abel, he is invited to stay with the charismatic Bishop John Sweet and his eight wives. Things take a turn for the worse, however, when the wives begin dying one by one. Will Eugene manage to find his path in the Mormon faith and solve this mystery?

Set in the late 1800s, Paul Raymond Reid’s Another Book of Mormons is a historical novel with touches of mystery. It’s a very character-driven tale, focusing on the relationships and psychology of individuals. There are seventeen chapters in total, either narrated by Eugene or one of the wives.

If you enjoy complex characters with troubled pasts, this novel is likely for you. Truth be told, most characters aren’t exactly likable or relatable, but each still serves as a piece of the puzzle. Add to this the well-researched setting filled with interesting historical details and a bucolic atmosphere and you have an engrossing book that should please many different readers.

That said, if you’re here for the murder mystery, I’m afraid you’ll be disappointed since it’s the weakest aspect of the novel. For starters, the plot is incredibly slow-paced; it takes quite a while for the first murder to even occur, and the investigation never seems to go anywhere most of the time. Also, the climax is predictable and doesn’t reveal anything too surprising.

I’d guessed who the murderer was before the ending, but I thought I was missing something because the evidence wasn’t all that solid. Sadly, I wasn’t missing anything. The mystery relies on rather weak circumstantial evidence and conjectures about the murderer’s motive. There’s no logical justification for why a certain character is innocent besides the fact that it would be too obvious otherwise.

The novel takes a critical look at the Mormon Church, so readers who belong to the religion might want to skip this unless they don’t mind having their beliefs questioned. Indeed, Eugene ponders a lot on existential issues and matters of faith, which is a highlight if you’re interested in these themes.

Though not an excellent murder mystery, Another Book of Mormons remains a fascinating story that delves deep into Mormonism, its social structure, and its believers’ minds. As such, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I’ve only found one minor error, so it’s also exceptionally edited.

The novel features some profanities, general descriptions of sex scenes, and mature topics, such as rape, so it’s unsuitable for young audiences. I don’t recommend it for fans of traditional murder mysteries with complex plots and twists. On the other hand, fans of historical fiction should find plenty to enjoy.

Another Book of Mormons
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I am not a Mormon but was intrigued by the book's title. Murder mysteries appeal to me, and I appreciate your interesting review.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Cecilia_L wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 09:50 I am not a Mormon but was intrigued by the book's title. Murder mysteries appeal to me, and I appreciate your interesting review.
To be honest, the murder mystery aspect isn't all that great, but the novel is still worth checking out. Thanks for the comment!
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I've always wanted to learn something about the Mormon church. I will definitely read this book to enrich my knowledge about some of their practices.
Thank you for the review.
Bet on Me! :idea:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad that the murder was the weakest aspect of the book. Still, I like complex characters, so I'm glad that was well done. Some of the more sensitive topics do make me pause. Thanks for your thoughts.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This book sounds so exciting! I don't know much about the Mormon community, but this book would be a great place to start. Thanks for the fantastic review!
Kaitlyn Canedy
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I am against the Mormon religion, so I will give this one a pass. A murder mystery involving this religion is interesting though; not a take that I would expect. :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
unamilagra
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This book sounds like it has potential because the time period sounds really intriguing. It's too bad the mystery aspect was so weak. Thanks for your thorough and honest review!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

This sounds like an interesting book on faith amid mysterious deaths in a family. Thanks for the insightful review.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

A character-driven historical fiction story with a touch of mystery sounds appealing. I will give the book a try. Awesome review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

kandscreeley wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 14:15 It's too bad that the murder was the weakest aspect of the book. Still, I like complex characters, so I'm glad that was well done. Some of the more sensitive topics do make me pause. Thanks for your thoughts.
Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 14:53 This book sounds so exciting! I don't know much about the Mormon community, but this book would be a great place to start. Thanks for the fantastic review!
Katie Canedy wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 19:19 I am against the Mormon religion, so I will give this one a pass. A murder mystery involving this religion is interesting though; not a take that I would expect. :)
unamilagra wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 22:43 This book sounds like it has potential because the time period sounds really intriguing. It's too bad the mystery aspect was so weak. Thanks for your thorough and honest review!
Wyland wrote: 24 Dec 2019, 00:19 This sounds like an interesting book on faith amid mysterious deaths in a family. Thanks for the insightful review.
Nerea wrote: 24 Dec 2019, 03:00 A character-driven historical fiction story with a touch of mystery sounds appealing. I will give the book a try. Awesome review.
Kanda_theGreat wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 11:54 I've always wanted to learn something about the Mormon church. I will definitely read this book to enrich my knowledge about some of their practices.
Thank you for the review.
Thanks for the comments! It's a very interesting novel, and I don't think you'll have a problem with it if you disagree with the Mormon faith; quite the opposite, in fact.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Murder mysteries are always fun and tying it into Eugene joining thw Mormon faith is an interesting take. I'm surprised it hasn't turned him off, but then again, faith doesn't always work on logic.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Nisha Ward wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 07:23 Murder mysteries are always fun and tying it into Eugene joining thw Mormon faith is an interesting take. I'm surprised it hasn't turned him off, but then again, faith doesn't always work on logic.
That's a good point. Eugene is a very lost man looking for some answers, so the allure of faith is too much for him. Thanks for the comment!

Return to “Historical Fiction”