Official Review: The Jug and Hare Bathhouse

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Official Review: The Jug and Hare Bathhouse

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Jug and Hare Bathhouse" by Graham Williams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Jug & Hare Bathhouse by Graham Williams is a historical fiction book and the first book in The Master Harry Series. The book takes place in London in the reign of King James. The city is a dirty environment inhabited by an army of resourceless orphans who walk the streets, offering sexual favors in exchange for some coins. The main character Harry is a teenager who went to work for a wealthy landowner and importer named Jorne. Because Harry lost his father (who was also an employee of Jorne) and had no other family, he was accepted as an assistant and was treated as if he were a son of his benefactor.

The first chapters are used to introduce the characters, and there are no significant events to describe. In addition to Harry, Thomas is another essential character. He is one of the stable boys and lives in the stable with the horses (his standard of living will change throughout the book). His friendship with Harry is intense, and the two have almost a love relationship. Everything changes, however, when the police come to ask Harry if he would not accept being used as bait to unravel a vast scheme of child exploitation. He agrees, but things don't go as expected. After the police lose sight of Harry, Thomas decides to go after his friend.

The most exciting aspect of the book is that it does not use stereotypes. Jorne is a wealthy individual and treats his employees humanely and fairly. Not only does he give his biological son's clothing to Harry, but he is also the protagonist of one of the most beautiful scenes in the book. Unlike many books, The Jug & Hare Bathhouse portrays the real world where not all rich and noble individuals are mean and arrogant just as not all poor people are lovely human beings.

I can say without any doubt that there is nothing I didn't like in the book. It's sad to know (unfortunately, a timeless truth) that wealthy, but mentally ill individuals take advantage of young people's economic vulnerability to satisfy their sick pleasures. Something that happens today with Jeffrey Epstein, just as it has happened countless times throughout history.

Given the fact that I couldn't find any relevant flaw in it, The Jug & Hare Bathhouse deserves 4 out of 4 stars. It's one of the most addictive books I've ever had a chance to read. Easy-to-read is the adjective that best describes this literary work. Moreover, it's exceptionally well-edited. Anyway, it's not a book for everyone to read. There is a description of gay sex among teenagers. I, as a Christian, didn't feel bothered, but I know several traditional Christians and Muslims who would be bothered by this content. I recommend The Jug & Hare Bathhouse to non-religious adults who enjoy historical fiction.

The Jug and Hare Bathhouse
View: on Bookshelves
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. I actually read the title and thought this was a western novel. This sounds like an interesting book that I will add to my list to read. It touches on real and disturbing topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:

Post by LinaMueller »

Miller56 wrote: 19 Dec 2019, 11:02 Thanks for the review. I actually read the title and thought this was a western novel. This sounds like an interesting book that I will add to my list to read. It touches on real and disturbing topics.
Go ahead and read it. I doubt you won't like it. It's a great novel. Thanks for passing by. :tiphat:
You an I, tonight!
I will forget the light.

I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Ray32
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ray32.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ray32 »

Thanks for the review, was going to pass on reading this novel but you have changed my mind. Will be adding it to my list. :D
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I love the thematic concern raised in this book; equality is a human virtue that the literature field attempts to achive.
Thank you for the review.
Bet on Me! :idea:
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Despite its rather spooky cover, this sounds like a great read. It was totally not what I was expecting, but it just goes to show you never to judge a book by its cover! Thanks for the great review!
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:

Post by LinaMueller »

Ray32 wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 02:18 Thanks for the review, was going to pass on reading this novel but you have changed my mind. Will be adding it to my list. :D
The Jug and Hare Bathhouse is a great book. You won't regret reading it. Thanks for passing by. :tiphat:
You an I, tonight!
I will forget the light.

I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:

Post by LinaMueller »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 07:31 I love the thematic concern raised in this book; equality is a human virtue that the literature field attempts to achive.
Thank you for the review.
You're totally right. Thanks for your feedback, Kanda_theGreat. :tiphat:
You an I, tonight!
I will forget the light.

I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:

Post by LinaMueller »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 12:37 Despite its rather spooky cover, this sounds like a great read. It was totally not what I was expecting, but it just goes to show you never to judge a book by its cover! Thanks for the great review!
The cover of the book could not be more appropriate. LOL Thanks for passing by, my dear. :tiphat:
You an I, tonight!
I will forget the light.

I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

There's a bit of a scary bit in here because I wonder what happens to Harry, but it's good to know that Thomas is so loyal to him. It's also nice to know that Jorne isn't your classic villain rich guy and actually pretty nice.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Historical Fiction”