Official Review: Dangerous Legacy by C. S. Arnold

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Official Review: Dangerous Legacy by C. S. Arnold

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dangerous Legacy" by C. S. Arnold.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stefan Zurowski had decided to come home after graduating from the university in Warsaw, Poland. He was readily unwelcome by his father, though. He was told to go back to Warsaw and help in any way to defend the nation from the imminent German invasion. It was evident his wealthy father did not want him. This was not shocking since Count Zurowski, had his firstborn son, Konrad, who was the legally accepted heir of the Zurowski estate. Stefan is summoned home by his father not long afterward. This sounded unusual to him. He detects some weirdness after getting off the train. No one was there to meet him at the local train station. The dogs did not signal his arrival as usual. What's more, there were no workers in the fields. He arrives home only to find all members of his family including some workers had been killed. His father was alive momentarily but died shortly after giving him some instructions. You have to grab your copy to discover more.

Dangerous Legacy: The Second Son by C. S. Arnold is a captivating novel. This fiction book is a part gripping thriller and part mystery with a healthy dose of history and romance. It is made up of approximately 190 pages and contains seventeen chapters. The captivating nature of this book can be chiefly attributed to the combination of many fascinating themes. These themes were elaborately intertwined to produce a compelling story of its kind.

The story begins on a high note and soon gets the reader involved. The best thing is it was amazing down to the last page. The dialogues were realistic and lively, and this made it easy to be inside the story. The story was written in the third-person point of view from the perspectives of a few primary characters. The author properly employed vivid descriptions. The author transports the reader through the beautiful and inviting countryside scenes. One begins salivating as meals are prepared and subsequently set on the dinner table. However, gory scenes exist as well. Entire cities are reduced to rubble through bombardment. Some rare sights are not inviting since people have been brutally murdered and their bodies left. There was no single instance where anything was left to chance.

One reason why I could not put down this book is that there is nothing I did not like about it. It has a unique storyline, and the plot was excellently built as well. The setting also was made to suit the timeline of the story, the twentieth century. The introduction was both appealing and suspenseful. The reader is left eagerly wanting to discover the reason behind the horrific attack. This suspense was maintained until the last page. The characters were adequately developed. They had strengths and flaws that made them realistic. I could not have wished for anything more than this in a story.

The language utilized was straightforward. There were a few words in native Polish dialect that were used. Their translations were provided within the text, though. The book was also professionally edited. It is one of those very easy to read and difficult to forget books. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I conscientiously recommend the book to all readers. It will appeal most to those who like fictional books with a touch of history. The fact that some characters were Christians and the book containing a few scriptures will not hinder anyone from heartily enjoying the book.

Dangerous Legacy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: A Captive in Algiers
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I am fascinated by anything WWII and this sounds like a great book set in this era. I'll be adding this one to my list right away! Thanks for the great review 😊
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

I think I have to grab a copy on my own and find why the author chose a name like this for this fascinating story.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou
LauraLeeWasHere
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere »

easy to read and difficult to forget
You are referring to the book but I think it's a pretty accurate description of your review too.

It's obvious you have a talent for reviewing a book. You were able to hit on all the different aspects that a potential reader wonders about. However, it is rather mean of you to tease us with the plot and then leave us hanging. :twisted2:

However, I will forgive you because there is nothing I enjoy more than discovering a good book by a new author previously unknown to me.

Thanks for a thorough and perceptive review.

Sincerely, LLR
And they sang a new song saying,
"You are worthy to take the book,
and to open its to seals,
for You were slain and have redeemed us to God,
by your blood, out of every tribe and tongue and people and Nation." Rev. 5:9
NKJ & KJV
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting historical fiction novel that is filled with religious romance, family, legacy, suspense, and combined in a captivating plot. It has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and has an awesome OnlineBookClub review. Congrats @conniesarnold1 on the BOTD selection.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

I feel like this is a book I will enjoy reading. Hitler attacks without a declaration of war, which is against the international Laws of War. It's amusing how tables can turn. Sad that young Stefan, the second son had to be received home by corpses. The kingdom is now up to him to salvage from the invasion. I always enjoy reading Nazi stories and I am sure this is a book I will enjoy. I love the way it begins with the stolen talisman and crucifix. I am already curious to read the entire book. Thanks for an amazing review. Congratulations BOTD.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Loneliness in the Pocket by Graeme Stuckings

Post by Frannie Annie »

This doesn’t sound like something up my alley but good review!
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

I have noticed most of the highlighted aspects mentioned by the reviewer in the sample pages I read, and I agree with his opinion.
Also, the review refers to all the elements that build the book: point of view, characters, as well as plot and style.
What was a bit of a surprise for me was the way he referred to the fact that the book could be read by people belonging to any religion:
The fact that some characters were Christians and the book containing a few scriptures will not hinder anyone from heartily enjoying the book.
Perhaps I am wrong but it is the first time that someone is apologetic about Christianity.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

What a book! Dangerous Legacy by C. S. Arnold sounds really interesting. I can't help but wish to read the whole of this book and find out what really to the entire household of Stefan Zurowski, what his father told him before dying and how he survived later on. Such an intriguing historical fiction book. Great review.
Books are beautiful.
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

This sounds like an amazing read! I'll definitely be checking this one out. It's so rare to read a story that focuses on Polish culture!
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

This book sounds really intense with a lot of description. I'm also a second child and know the struggles of coming after "the chosen one." I'm also part Polish so it might be interesting to read about that.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Las chicas de Angel Creek
Bookshelf Size: 2397
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

It is one of those very easy to read and difficult to forget books.
This is very high praise!
Although I don't find the plot especially appealing, it seems like this book is perfectly executed in every aspect and that's commendable.
Your review is compelling and excellently written, thank you!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

A man who has so obviously been unwanted by his own father for most of his life suddenly getting summoned by the same father sounds suspiciously intriguing. I wonder what instructions Stefan receives from his father and how the plot develops from the murder in his family. That the Polish dialects used are adequately translated for non-native speakers is a plus. I can't wait to pick this one up. Thanks for the solid review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

This seems like an exciting read for sure. I'm intrigued by what his father could have said to him before he died. It seems like an intense book, but that just adds to the suspense.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

This book isn't my genre so I am going to pass. I'm into romance novels more. Great review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”