Official Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Re: Official Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Atieno Magero »

This seems like a very interesting book. Readers can learn a lot about Korean culture from reading this book. This a wonderful Asian historical fiction book.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

Thanks for a candid review.Its hard to digest history if it's done in plain and white.But once its described in a story of this taste plus interesting characters,then I wouldn't mind reading such all the time.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

Thanks for a candid review.Its hard to digest history if it's done in plain and white.But once its described in a story of this taste plus interesting characters,then I wouldn't mind reading such all the time.
Mbithem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mbithem »

I like history so much and would like to find out more about Korea and the Japanese rule. I love dramas and this seems like one. I don't think the shortcomings of the novel will ever mattter
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I love historical fiction, but the word 'fiction' is the key for me! I don't care for books that give a lot of historical facts, interrupting the flow of the story!. Some facts are fine, but when I am reading a fictional novel, I am more interested in the actual story being told, not in the historical background! Thanks for the excellent review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
aquameest
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by aquameest »

This is one of the most interesting and insightful Korean books I have come across. I never really enjoyed books about the East, because they usually ended up lacking something. This one is among my few exceptions. good job
Krishnajee100
Favorite Book: THE STORY OF MY LIFE
Currently Reading: art of war
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishnajee100.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Krishnajee100 »

History is not a genre that I like reading but, this review really made me think about this book. A really great review, and the remark from Lady Sougyon about the last bullet- that completely shook me up.
care bear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by care bear »

This book was well written but at times I had a hard time following. Understanding that when one grows up they tend to roam to their own ways and the ways of friends. I think that Embon should have had a better ending. Was not excited about the ending thought it was a little sad considering the title that the son carried and how protective his mother was over him.
Linnette
Currently Reading: Midwinter Turns to Spring
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linnette.html
Latest Review: Heat: by H.M. Irwing

Post by Linnette »

I would really want to believe that some parts of the book were inspired by true life historical events, it would be so great to learn about history in this manner. I definitely will read it despite the unexpected ending. Great review
Latest Review: Heat: by H.M. Irwing
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

I enjoy reading historical fiction, and your informative review has piqued my interest. Thank you for your great review, I'm going to add it to my want-to-read shelf!
Joy C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-c.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Joy C »

I've always been intrigued by the Asian culture and hope to learn more about it. This is a beautiful story and a well written review also
Begin always with the end in mind. :techie-studyingbrown:
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

A well-detailed review. Historical books are piquing my interest of late and a look into Asian history especially at a time when Japan was oppressive would do me some good. Thank you for this review.
LYDIA KINYANJUI
Currently Reading: The Bright One of the Skillful Hand
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydia-kinyanjui.html
Latest Review: God's Plan For Your Future by David Charles Cole
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by LYDIA KINYANJUI »

It seems like an insightful book. Though I am not a fun of historical books that much. hope other readers enjoy it.
Mimi Frawley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimi-frawley.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mimi Frawley »

I don't generally lack patience, but this sounds like a book that may stretch mine thin. I do sometimes (not for reviews, of course) skim read where I pick and choose how tuned in I am. Since the book is based on Asian historical times and events, I could learn quite a bit.
ELSETH MAEVE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elseth-maeve.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by ELSETH MAEVE »

I am a fan of Korean series. Definitely, this book would be one I would lookout for. This is with the aim of discovering more about the history of Korean. I would also love to find out, if Korean writers are just as good. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”