Official Review: Larkin's Choice by Eliza Broughton

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Official Review: Larkin's Choice by Eliza Broughton

Post by Delaney35 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Larkin's Choice" by Eliza Broughton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Larkin’s Choice by Eliza Broughton follows Larkin Sims. She is a military veteran who owns several gyms and teaches self-defense. She decided to open them because she was raped as a teenager and wanted to help others learn to defend themselves. Her business is thriving, but her love life is a bit of a mess. She keeps having dreams about a man, Peter, she sees during her daily run. In her dreams, he is perfect. Eventually, she works up the nerve to speak to him in real life. He gives her a proposal, which could bring her dreams into reality. All she must do is pretend to be his girlfriend for a few weeks while he vies for a place as the CEO of a family company. Meanwhile, she makes friends with Jason as she helps his mother with a stalker. Jason, a brilliant scientist, is working on a time machine. He promises her that when it works, he will take her back in time to meet her ancestor William Sims, an American abolitionist.

My favorite part of this book was the insight into early United States history. It gave a vivid picture of abolitionists after the American Revolutionary War. It taught me a lot about how they worked to smuggle slaves out of the south. It also described how slave hunters would do anything to bring back runaways, even bringing back the wrong person to get the reward. This was my favorite part of the novel.

There were a decent number of grammatical issues, though. They were mostly missing commas and didn’t negatively impact my reading experience. However, because they were rather frequent, I will have to take away a star from the rating. Besides these issues, there was nothing I disliked about this book.

Ignoring the grammatical issues, this was a well-written novel. The language was precise, and the imagery was on point. I think Broughton spent a great deal of time working with the prose. The flow was natural and compelling. I also think the pacing was excellent. It nicely complemented the building tension throughout the book.

I award this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The only reason I am taking away a star is because of the grammatical issues. I think anyone who enjoys historical fiction would greatly enjoy this book. It gave an interesting view of post-revolution America. It also gave a good look into the abolitionist movement. Since it had a time-travel twist, there was an interesting juxtaposition of modern ideas with those of the time period. If you are interested in American history, this is the book for you.

Larkin's Choice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Delaney35's review? Post a comment saying so!
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

Ok, I don't get it! What has her affair with her dream guy got to do with meeting a time traveler who'll take her to meet her ancestors? Confusing. Thanks!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not usually into historical fiction, but I do enjoy a good time travel novel. This one does sound intriguing despite the issues. Hopefully the author can get those fixed. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I do enjoy historical fiction as well as science fiction. Therefore, I think I would really enjoy this book, aside from the grammatical errors, and that doesn't seem to interfere with the story. Thank you for a well-written review!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Well, that twist hit like a whammy to the back. It sounds like a lot but who knows. I might enjoy it.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

Larkin must have been terribly broken. Beeing raped as a teenager isn't the nicest thing and usually it messes up with one's love life growing up. Thanks for a great informative review.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
e-reeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-reeder.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by e-reeder »

The story of a military veteran who owns several gyms and teaches self-defense sounds interesting. Also sounds like a good time - travel book.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I don't usually read historical fiction, so I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the great review!
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

I am not really a fan of time travel, however, I do enjoy a good love story. The part about Larkin Sims pretending to be Peter's girlfriend. :D :D :D . It also seems like a well-written story apart from the few grammatical errors. Thanks for a good review. You summed everything up so nicely! :tiphat:
SweetPee7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by SweetPee7 »

I'm retired US Air Force and love historical fiction, romance, and time travel. This book has it all for me! I'd like to see if a love triangle develops between Eliza, Peter, and Jason. I've read several books on the south and slavery, so this one sounds like a good addition. Thanks for a great review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This novel covers an interesting range of topics: self-defense, rape, time travel,slavery, etc. The history sections do sound interesting and I would like to read what the author has written about that time period. Great review!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I am always interested in reading fascinating historical books. This one seems to offer a lot of information on the abolitionists whom I have not read much about. I would, therefore, like to read this book. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Historical Fiction”