Official Review: The Secret Life of Mrs. London

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: The Secret Life of Mrs. London

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Secret Life of Mrs. London" by Rebecca Rosenberg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Secret Life of Mrs. London by Rebecca Rosenberg is a historical fiction book. It spans almost two years in the life of Charmian Kittredge London. Charmian was an author and editor. She was married to Jack London, who was arguably the most famous American author of his time. We are introduced to other famous figures of the past, all fictionalized to fit in with the alluring plot. We see how Charmian and Bess Houdini, the wife of the world-renowned Harry “Handcuff” Houdini, despite being exceptional women in their own rights, put aside personal ambition to support their celebrated husbands. Simply put, theirs are complex marriages, and The Secret Life of Mrs. London brings these relationships to life by depicting probable events in the lives of these two fascinating couples.

Charmian is at a place in her life where all she wishes for is a quiet domestic life with her husband, Jack London. She longs for his love and devotion. She yearns to have him exclusively to herself. She is Jack's muse, comrade, and editor. She keeps him on track by ensuring that he sticks to his goal of writing a thousand words per day. Jack’s self-absorption causes him to overlook her needs. He fails to realise that she is a woman who has put her own career on hold to support his. When the couple meets the mysterious Houdinis, Charmian is overwhelmed by the immense attraction between her and the enigmatic Harry Houdini. With Jack’s sporadic bursts of interest in her, will she be able to resist Houdini’s charm?

The Secret Life of Mrs. London is written from Charmian’s point of view. This gave me the feeling of coming to know Charmian intimately. As she narrates the events of her life, you come to view her as that sophisticated, worldly friend you are honoured to know, who manages to remain unpretentious. Her wit was especially endearing. For example, at one of Houdini’s shows, she describes how her husband is having a deep conversation with Anna Strunsky and how an actress, Blanche, is hanging onto Jack’s arm. Blanche pretends to understand and follow the conservation. Charmian observes and curtly comments, “She doesn’t.” Yet, there are still some things about Charmian that are a mystery to me – she doesn’t give it all away in her narration, which served to pique my interest further.

Another character I came to love was Bess Houdini. At first, Charmian describes her as giddy – the type of woman Jack can’t stand. Throughout their first dinner together, Charmian ignores her. Later on, as Charmian spends more time with the doll-faced Mrs. Houdini, she comes to adore her. Bess has strange tendencies which make her all the more fun to be around, like how she carries around a Victoria Woodhull doll. She also has a limitless imagination that drives Houdini insane at times. The fun-loving Bess has her share of sorrows though, creating a well-rounded character. The rest of the supporting characters helped to portray the type of world that the Londons lived in. I loved that we are introduced to some of the talented bohemians who made up the “Crowd”.

A theme I greatly enjoyed was the theme of “free love”.  Free love is the idea that sexual relations are to be enjoyed without being restricted by marriage or long-term relationships. Charmian was raised by her vivacious aunt, Netta. Her aunt has always asserted that “what is good for the goose is good for the gander.” Despite this, Charmian has never bought into concept of free love. She repeatedly states throughout the book that “free love is never free.” Despite this, it was frustrating to see how Jack expected Charmian to remain faithful to him without feeling the need to remain faithful to her. The double standard set by society in terms of fidelity between the sexes was well-explored and interesting to read about.

This is one of the best books I have laid my hands on lately. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It is immaculately edited and has been beautifully formatted. Each chapter opens with an extract from the real Jack London’s writings, adding another layer of realism to the book. Women of all ages and historical fiction fans will love this book. 

The Secret Life of Mrs. London
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

I love historical fiction books like this, but I don't think I can tolerate a theme of "free love" as I don't it's free either. Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like this books is quite well put together. The research the author must have done is quite something. Still, historical fiction isn't my usual genre, even with fascinating figures such as Jack London and Harry Houdini. Thanks, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

I do feel like reading this book after viewing your review! I love books of this sort and the novel seems to have some fascinating ideas. Thanks for the review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Charmian sounds like an intriguing person. It is interesting to see how she became friends with Bess Houdini. I enjoyed your description of the character development in the book. Great job!
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I've really been into historical fiction this year. This book sounds like a great one to add to my list. How crazy would it be to be Houdini's wife! Thank you for the review!
Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Wamakima »

Wow I am intrigued.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
lesmehm1
Favorite Book: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Currently Reading: Chasing The Red Queen
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by lesmehm1 »

Sounds like a classic drama with a touch of romance. I want to read them!!
SweetPee7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by SweetPee7 »

Great review! I like how you provided examples of how realistic fiction can be! I find it interesting that Charmian maintains all of the responsibilities of the relationship, both work and marital, while Jack is guided & plays. Your review pulled me into the characters so easily as you described their personalities. Again, great review. Thanks.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Sounds like an interesting book. I am glad that you enjoyed reading it too. Charmian sounds like a very interesting woman. I have always been interested in Houdini. Thanks for the review.
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

Jack London and Houdini? Count me in!
I wanna read this book. Thanks for the review :)
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite »

Thank you for that great review. After reading it and I would like to read this book. Charmian sounds very interesting. What a great perspective to see things from the view of the wives of famous men!

Return to “Historical Fiction”