Official Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Official Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Yeh-shen" by Ray Simmons.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cinderella is a character who transcends cultures. The fairy tale has versions in the folklore of many different countries. This particular tale has very distinct differences from the European version, but that adds to the charm of this short little book.

Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons is part memoir and part fairy tale told by the author’s students. The book is comprised partially of pictures. Half of the book is pictures of the author’s Chinese students who he worked with teaching English at a school in China. In the second part of the book, the author is told the story of Yeh-shen by his students. The story focuses on the two wives of a great ruler. One of the wives is kind and beautiful, but the other wife is bitterly jealous of what she perceives as favoritism towards her rival by their husband. Both women have daughters, and the jealous wife hatches a terrible plan aimed at the kind wife and her daughter. Making a deal with bandits, the jealous wife has the kind wife and her daughter attacked. The husband of the two women tries to defend his favorite wife, but he and the kind woman die in the attack. Yeh-shen, the daughter of the two, survives. The jealous wife promises her dying husband that she will care for the girl. Of course, this being a Cinderella story, the audience is aware that this is a promise that won’t be kept.

I ended up giving Yeh-shen 2 out of 4 stars. The story itself, as told by the students, is charming. The traditional aspects of the European Cinderella story are evident in the tale, but the Chinese version has its own cultural differences. It’s nice hearing the story in the voice of Chinese students, making it feel like a traditional story being told orally. It’s also nice to hear a fairy story from a non-European source.

Unfortunately, I ended up having to mark the book down for several reasons. The first problem is the organization of the book is very confusing. The first half is all pictures that don’t seem to have much reason for being in the actual book. They are of the author’s Chinese students, but there really doesn’t seem to be much organization to them or explanation why they’re there. The pictures go on for so long that I thought I had somehow ended up with the wrong book. The second problem is that there are a lot of comma errors for such a short book. The general understanding of the story isn’t compromised, but the number of basic comma errors is very noticeable.

In the end, a charming fairy story is marred by some errors that a decent editor could fix. The book might be better served being a collection of fairy tales that the author’s students tell him, not one story with lots of random pictures. The story at the core of the book is wonderful, just is in need of some different presentation.

Yeh-shen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like HRichards's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review... the story sounds like it is fun, but I totally understand why you had to mark it down... It also seems to me that the pictures should have come in at the end instead of at the front. Thanks for sharing.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I like the author's take on the more classic "Cinderella" story. It's a pity about the lack of organization and the errors. But I thoroughly enjoyed your review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I was disappointed to see the low rating. It is justified, but I was hoping the author had done a better job. The Chinese version of this classic fairy tale would be intriguing. Thanks for your insightful review!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I love reading the fairy tales of different cultures, so I'm disappointed that this book is so poorly organized and has so many grammar errors. Thank you for your honest review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I love retellings of Cinderella in different cultures so I might have picked this up had it not been for the organisation issue. As it stands, I think I'll wait.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

A charming Cinderella story with a twist and Chines flavor. I wish the story was better develop as you have put it in your review. Nice review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The actual Cinderella story would be interesting as told from the Chinese culture. As long as you know what you are going to get as far as the pictures at the beginning, it seems like it could easily be overlooked. All in all, sounds like a book worth picking up. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 12:16 The actual Cinderella story would be interesting as told from the Chinese culture. As long as you know what you are going to get as far as the pictures at the beginning, it seems like it could easily be overlooked. All in all, sounds like a book worth picking up. Thanks.
I wouldn't have minded the pictures if there had been some explanation about them. They went on for so long I seriously thought I had gotten the wrong book somehow.
Jaclyn
Currently Reading: God's generals
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaclyn.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Jaclyn »

Thank you for your inciteful review. It's made me hesitant to read though i trully love fairytell Cinderella reads.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I love fairy tales from different countries. Part of my book collection is devoted to exactly this. It's unfortunate that the pictures ended up outweighing the story. Still, I might give it a look. Thanks for the honest review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”