Official Review: Call me Mary . . . by Evelyn Cole

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Official Review: Call me Mary . . . by Evelyn Cole

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Call me Mary . . ." by Evelyn Cole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“The best way out is always through.” Robert Frost

Call me Mary… by Evelyn Cole is the memoir of Mary Lou Rutland, who was only five in 1936 when the events started, in Marion, Ohio. Thenceforth, the story spans several decades. Her problem lies in her secret and longstanding craving for sexual encounters with adult men. During her work as a high school teacher in California, she fears her world and profession will shatter. But this is only one part of the story; as she is also worn out by guilt for not loving her sexual partners. By the same token, she struggles with the expression of her sexuality at a time when such a thing was stigmatized.

The story answers hanging questions such as, what is the root for her problem? Will she be able to hide her sex addiction? Can she transcend? More importantly, will she be able to find true love?

In this literary fiction, the author uses Mary’s first-person narrative, in a straight, clear, and engaging writing style. I was shaken by the candid recollection of the events, the authenticity of the embroidered emotions, and the brutal honesty of her internal monologue.

Cole does a wonderful job personifying her characters. They are humanly flawed, and their actions were often a reflection of the times they lived in. Take Mary’s character, for instance; it is well-built, real, and relatable. I was also pleased with the maturity she developed over the years. The supporting characters involve the men she sleeps with, her siblings, and two females she befriends. These are also well-rounded and believable. Of special appeal is the dramatic evolution of the characters as time went by.

Interestingly, the driving force of the events isn’t much about the plot, as it is about the details of Mary’s sexual encounters, as well as her inner turmoil and guilt.

Furthermore, the author’s sarcastic sense of humor added such lightheartedness to the prose, "Your mother wants to know what you can do with a major in anthropology." Nothing. I just wanted to know what kind of animal I am. "I'll find something. It's 1953, Dad, not '33."

Mary also says, “I hated flying commercially. Everyone on the plane seemed to be in a bad mood while the flight attendants smiled like teen-aged actors.”

Moreover, I was enthralled by the intertwining of wit and wisdom. Here’s an example, “Although well fed, clothed, and sheltered, even given college tuition, a child who’s been ignored suffers as much as those who have been beaten or insulted every day. It’s hard to develop a sense of self when deprived of reflection from others, and especially touch.”

I particularly appreciated the dynamics of the relationship and the conversations between Mary and her brother Allen. That said, the only thing I may have been unsatisfied with is the scarce interactions between Mary and her son Billy. I would have liked to see their relationship touched upon with more detail, especially because Mary mentions her son has saved her life on more than one occasion.

I highly recommend this book to those seeking a character-driven page-turner that deals with such a thorny issue as sex addiction in a most candid, transparent, and witty manner. Additionally, readers looking for a book that portrays the resilience and valor of human spirit in the face of adversity are bound to be satisfied with Call Me Mary… However, I must add a clear warning to younger audiences, due to the explicit intimate details.

I fell under the impression that the book is professionally edited, as I only encountered two trivial typographical errors throughout the whole book, namely a missing letter. The pristine editing added to the smoothness and enjoyment of the reading experience. Hence, it is with pleasure that I give Call Me Mary… by Evelyn Cole 4 out of 4 stars.

Cole’s words linger in the mind long after they are read, “Physical pleasure narrows your attention around whatever is providing the good feeling. Warm emotions coming your way broaden your awareness of the moment. When pleasures are devoid of such warmth, they pull you and anyone else toward obsession and addiction.”

Call me Mary . . .
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ruba Abu Ali's review? Post a comment saying so!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I find this memoir unique in its ability to majorly deal with one subject. I’m also intrigued by the description of “sexual addiction.” Its hard to believe there is even anything like that. Nice review.
Ruba Abu Ali
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Wyland wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 02:01 I find this memoir unique in its ability to majorly deal with one subject. I’m also intrigued by the description of “sexual addiction.” Its hard to believe there is even anything like that. Nice review.
There is, indeed! Thank you for dropping by and for the comment. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ruba, your eloquent review of this unique memoir has piqued my interest. Well done!
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Cecilia_L wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 10:14 Ruba, your eloquent review of this unique memoir has piqued my interest. Well done!
Thank you heaps, Cecilia!
Your words are much appreciated. :D
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

When I was reading the review I almost thought it was a novel. Its hard to think these issues are real. Faced by real people.
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Dee_218 wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 14:41 When I was reading the review I almost thought it was a novel. Its hard to think these issues are real. Faced by real people.
I understand. Thanks for the comment.
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

This read closely associates a movie I watched called Addicted. I think I can figure out the rest. Thank you!
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Scarlet Nicoll wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 01:32 This read closely associates a movie I watched called Addicted. I think I can figure out the rest. Thank you!
Thank you for the comment!
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite »

Thank you for that great review. I finished it feeling like I needed to know more about Mary. This is probably not a book I would normally pick up, but after reading about it, my interest is piqued. I do enjoy an honest page-turner. Thanks!

Return to “Historical Fiction”