Official Review: The Soles of Cyrus Eblis by Mark Macedonia

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: The Soles of Cyrus Eblis by Mark Macedonia

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Soles of Cyrus Eblis" by Mark Macedonia.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Thirteen-year-old Ben is running an errand for his father when he meets Cyrus Eblis, a creepy old man who seems to know him well. To put some distance between them, Ben flees to Lynn, where he becomes an apprentice at a shoe manufacturer. Much to his horror, Cyrus is hot on his trail. When bad things start happening around him, Ben must rely on his faith, wits, and best friends to battle the powerful demon that is hell-bent on destroying everyone Ben has ever cared about.

I found the premise in The Soles of Cyrus Eblis by Mark Macedonia intriguing, and I knew I would be in for a wild ride. Soul-stealing demons in a historical Salem set in the 18th century, a young hero fighting an unspeakable evil, and wicked witches are the main ingredients in this fast-paced story. The author successfully combined historical fantasy with Christian fiction, and I was utterly engrossed in the 500-page novel until the satisfying last sentence.

I enjoyed the author’s descriptive language matching the vocabulary of the 18th century. From the first few pages, I was among the people in Salem, Massachusetts, watching them make ends meet with their trade, listening to pirate stories told by an old sailor, and basking in the bright autumn colors while walking on the narrow path in the woods. For a few moments, I was Benjamin Pratt, reliving those early decisive years. When the bell-man was going around the town announcing “Ten o’clock and all’s well,” I was in that old house without modern appliances, surrounded by the voice of a man comforting people to peacefully turn in for the night.

The story and descriptions were quite entertaining, but the characters made the strongest impact on me. From that timid and skeptic 13-year-old boy, Ben turned into a young man who slowly learned his real place in the world. He was surrounded by friends who strengthened his faith in God and helped him battle despicable creatures. Samantha, the young girl Ben fell for, Rachel, the disabled girl who helped him reconnect with God, and Caleb, his cousin, formed the major archetypes familiar to most readers. As a non-religious reader, I found the detailed Bible-reading segments with Ben and Rachel slightly uncomfortable. However, as I’ve never attended a Bible study session, those pages gave me a quick overview of what I could expect in such a setting.

In terms of editing, I only noticed a few mistakes in the book. A few missing hyphens, a wrong subject-verb agreement, and some missing commas formed the bulk of the errors. As such, I give The Soles of Cyrus Eblis 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers of historical supernatural fiction with a dash of religion where good and evil are in constant battle. Non-religious people and those of other faiths might shy away from the chapters featuring detailed religious discussions and Bible quotes.

The Soles of Cyrus Eblis
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I appreciate an engaging good versus evil plot. Thanks for the recommendation.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have only found a few modern authors who are able to combine (at least successfully) Christian fiction with fantasy. I'm glad that this is one of them. I'm always looking for books like this, and the setting sounds quite intriguing! Thanks for the review. It's going on my to be read list.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

This sounds like a superb read with a host of interesting characters- especially Ben and the creepy Cyrus Eblis. Your insights into this book certainly do it justice, as I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your description of how the author was able to put you into each setting was amazing! The blend of historical fantasy with Christian fiction is an interesting mix. You have made this book sound intriguing and appealing. Thanks.
Raven009
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Raven009 »

When I first saw the cover of this book, I thought it was going to be about a ballet dancer. I was pleasantly surprised. I always love reading historical fiction and stories of supernatural events, so this book is definitely going on my "want to read" list. Thanks!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

This book has a fascinating premise. And it sounds like the characters were developed well. Great review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

Any plot where a person continues showing up to cause harm, no matter what the character does to try to get away, is one I typically shy away from. However, your description of this book and the successful historical fiction and fantasy mash-up may have convinced me otherwise. I'll think about it. Thanks for a great review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a solid paranormal read suitable for all the fans of the genre, me included! :) A well developed and interesting main character is a big plus. Thank you for a great review!
Salem, Massachusetts, never ceases to amaze :)
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

This does sound intriguing and you've given yet another thorough and well-written review. I loved your description of how you felt so much a part of that 18th century setting - I was instantly thrown into it as well!
So, the "Soles of Cyrus Eblis" are actually souls...??
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

This seems like a very interesting story with some of my favorite elements that include fantasy but also history itself.
Also, I appreciate good characterization and development of the characters in the books, so I look forward to reading this.
Thanks for an excellent review!
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

I'm not of Christian faith origin, but I do love the direction this plot is heading. Thank you for this candid account!
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I like that you were able to give the perspective of a non-religious person on this book. It’s nice that it is accessible to people who aren’t Christians and might even teach them something about the faith. I might try this one out. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:

Return to “Historical Fiction”