Official Review: The Chosen Ones by Dia Lynne Cardo

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Official Review: The Chosen Ones by Dia Lynne Cardo

Post by Supergirl1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Chosen Ones" by Dia Lynne Cardo.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Chosen Ones is a 278-paged historical fiction novel by Dia Lynne Cardo. The story is based on the Native American people and their ancient culture and religion, and their struggles with the Caucasians.

Coyote Hunter has grown weary of her white husband’s mistreatment. She has made up her mind to take her newborn baby and return to her people, the Apaches. But events take a sad turn when her husband chases after her, and she ends up killing him in the ensuing fight. Murdering one’s husband is a sacrilege among the Apaches, and Coyote Hunter could never have imagined the far-reaching effects her actions would have; for herself and for her people.

I want to start by saying I love the way the Native American culture is portrayed in this book. It takes you on a journey back in time to when the natives hunted buffalo and lived as tribes. Each tribe had a great chief and a medicine man who was integral to the tribe’s spiritual life. The natives only hunted to fill their needs, and never for sport. They also had an unshakable belief in the guidance of the Great Spirit.

Some of the characters in this story are well-developed, while some aren’t quite so. For example, one is able to follow characters like Coyote Hunter, Bold Feather, and Great Chief Shining Star; just to mention a few. But other characters like Storm Bear and Black Kettle just seem to spring up at the reader, seemingly out of nowhere, and fade away just as quickly.

One other thing I found disconcerting was the pacing. At the beginning of the story, I found it easy to follow Coyote Hunter’s story. However, as soon as she becomes a member of the Black Hills tribe, the rest of the story feels rushed, as though someone clicked the forward button. It felt like the author was trying to cram a long story into a short book. I think I would have preferred the longer version. More details would have made for a more interesting read.

I still recommend this book to lovers of historical fiction, and to everyone who would love to learn a thing or two about the Native American culture. I rate The Chosen Ones 2 out of 4 stars. This novel appears to have been professionally edited, and I only found one error in the whole book.

The Chosen Ones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Supergirl1's review? Post a comment saying so!
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

The premise of this story sounds interesting. I would be tempted to pick it up if not for the rushed plot, as I would like to learn about Native American culture. I don’t know if this book is for me, but thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I would love to learn more about the Native American culture, but the pace of the story and the character development appear to leave a lot to be desired. Thank you for a great review!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

Sounds like a very promising book; but the effect of rushing is disappointing. Native American culture is so interesting, and I would love to learn more about it. However, this story's narrative/plot seems to not have been written as well as it could have, so I think I will pass. Thank you for your excellent review! Well done...
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Pacing is often everything that can break a story, so I'm sorry it didn't work out so well here. With that being said, I might still check it out based on your description.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

It's good that the book was exceptionally edited, but the story matters too. I have read historical books before, they can be interesting, but that doesn't seem to be the case with this one. Thank you for your review.
damzzy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by damzzy »

I want to know more on the Native American culture, but the pace of the story and the character development appear to leave a lot of interest in reading it. Thank you for a wonderful review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It does sound like an interesting way to learn more about the Native American people. It's too bad about the rushed ending and the not-so-good character development. Thanks for a wonderful review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I really enjoyed your synopsis of the book. The consequences of Coyote Hunter's actions sound intriguing and I am interested in reading about them. I enjoyed your review. Thanks.
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

My favorite genre is historical fiction and I enjoy reading about Native Americans - I might give this one a try even though it becomes rushed. Enjoyed your review!
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

It has been awhile since I have read a Native American culture historical fiction. The premise of the story, even with the rushed-feeling toward the end and unexpected characters, is intriguing. I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Return to “Historical Fiction”