Official Review: Sylvia’s Garden by Diana Yu

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Sylvia’s Garden by Diana Yu

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sylvia’s Garden" by Diana Yu.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After immigrating to the U.S. in an attempt to flee dictatorship, Korean families struggled while adjusting to their new lives. Sylvia’s Garden is a historical fiction novel by Diane Yu. The story follows three families and the cultural challenges they face in Merrifield, Maryland, during the 1970s-1980s. Central to the plot is Sylvia Carter, who is gifted at both tending to her garden and cultivating relationships. As the Carters, Kims, and Jeffersons seek to provide better lives for their children, they must address issues related to Korean culture, biracial marriage, classism, and prejudice. Ultimately, their lives and struggles become intertwined in an unexpected but meaningful way.

In this character-driven plot, the author skillfully crafts the development of multiple characters and their relationships with each other. For instance, she effectively conveys conflict when the older generation expresses concern that the younger generation is adopting too many liberal views. Although the story unfolds at an unhurried pace, the writing style is focused and clear, and the editing is flawless. As the story progresses, the author includes significant historical events that occur in both the U.S. and Korea. Throughout the book, the author introduces Korean culture and vocabulary in an easy-to-understand manner that flows smoothly and never feels forced.

In fact, I particularly liked the Korean tradition exemplified in a celebration involving the three families. In hindsight, I can see that the author was gradually building toward this moment. However, it wasn't at all predictable; just as I had accepted certain circumstances, the story shifted. I won't expose any plot spoilers, but in this instance, the families set aside their differences for all of the right reasons.

Sylvia's passion for cultivating extends beyond her garden to her community. As a gardener, I would be remiss if I didn't mention how much I enjoyed the symbolism related to Sylvia's gardening; she is a cultivator of soil and souls. Based on the author's picturesque descriptions, I could imagine the beautiful garden with its pair of pink dogwoods and towering balsam fir tree. I also appreciated her accurate depictions of getting immersed in a task and losing track of time. I have a strong suspicion that the author shares her character's love of gardening.

I loved the ending and can't think of anything I disliked about the book. I am pleased to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend the book to historical fiction fans and readers who appreciate references to gardening. On the other hand, readers who prefer a fast-paced novel will probably prefer to pass on this one.

Sylvia’s Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I would love to learn more about the rich Korean culture and its development in the US in the historical perspective this book provides. Also, what a beautiful metaphor with garden and the gardening not only soils but souls! Thank you so much for the review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ellylion wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 06:53 I would love to learn more about the rich Korean culture and its development in the US in the historical perspective this book provides. Also, what a beautiful metaphor with garden and the gardening not only soils but souls! Thank you so much for the review!
Thanks for your kind comment. :tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I enjoy a good character-driven plot on occasion. This sounds like something I should pick up as I'm interested in hearing more about the Korean culture too. Thanks for the great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 10:08 I enjoy a good character-driven plot on occasion. This sounds like something I should pick up as I'm interested in hearing more about the Korean culture too. Thanks for the great review.
Thank you.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

I'm always interested with anything concerning culture. Now am curious to know more about the Korean culture. Thank you for the review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nyambura Githui wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 15:19 I'm always interested with anything concerning culture. Now am curious to know more about the Korean culture. Thank you for the review.
You're welcome. Thanks for commenting.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love the gardening symbolism. Your description of the gardens and losing time while you have your hands in the soil are relatable to any culture. This sounds like an enjoyable story. Thanks for the great review.
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite »

Thank you for that review. It sounds like the author does a good job of relaying emotion and helping the reader to see the conflicts. I really am drawn to a book where the author draws from their own interests. I will keep this book in mind.
Triciat50
Favorite Book: The Luminaries
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-triciat50.html
Latest Review: The Miracle of Ramadan by Wassim Hijazi

Post by Triciat50 »

I am a huge fan of gardening, I live near Maryland, and I love stories set in the 1970's. Thank you for mentioning in your review that the pace may seem slow, but it was overall a good book to try.

Return to “Historical Fiction”