Official Review: Hunters of the Columbian Mammoth

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Official Review: Hunters of the Columbian Mammoth

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hunters of the Columbian Mammoth" by Adrian Del Valle.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Weighed down by the days’ endless pressure, don’t we often wish to go back to an earlier time? Set in a primitive world where humankind coexisted with fierce saber-toothed tigers and gigantic mammoths, Hunters of the Columbian Mammoth by Adrian Del Valle allows us a sneak peek into the early days of human civilization. When an enemy clan wipes out the Bandu tribe, Lan is left as the sole survivor. Armed with scarce weaponry and indomitable courage, he ventures into the unknown to seek a new life. The story narrates how he gradually establishes his own position, finds love, and changes the lives of innumerable others in the process.

The novel, first and foremost, is very elaborate. Valle depicts every scene with utmost care. In spite of making the book lengthened at places, this guarantees an easy and relaxed reading.

Characterization in the novel demands special mention. Lan encounters a myriad of characters belonging to different tribes during his journey. Although the names are initially difficult to remember, each creates a distinct impression on the reader’s mind. As the protagonists, the characters of Lan and his partner Ayashe, are well-developed. I loved how Lan’s courage and strength were complemented by Ayashe’s bravery and continuous support. The bond gradually forged between them surpasses even those typically found in romance novels.

Valle introduces the unique customs of various tribes, some practicing cannibalism and regular raids on other clans, while many promote a peaceful lifestyle. Their co-existence with natural forces takes up a significant part of the book. Killing an animal or bird is under no circumstances a mindless slaughter, but a necessity to sustain life. Even so, they acknowledge and respect each life claimed. Despite the obvious feuds between enemy clans, the entire picture creates a sense of harmony in the reader’s mind.

Some snippets show the characters drawing pictures, narrating a story, describing a trail, or simply daydreaming. Those instances accurately portray the power of imagination that sets humans different from other animals. I was quite happy Valle remembered to incorporate this aspect as a part of his story.

A unique feature of the novel was the dialogue. The use of odd syntaxes, along with several unfamiliar terms in the tribe language, allows the distinct impression that the incidents took place during a more primitive time. Although initially hard, the readers will like it once they are accustomed. The index at the end of this book outlines all the characters and explains the unknown terms. The reader might take time to consult this section to make the reading experience easier.

However, I noted quite a few areas in the novel that might require improvement. Foremost, the leap between today’s world and the primitive world was too abrupt. Additionally, the narrative often resembles a movie script, not a novel. The way new characters are introduced disrupts the flow of the story. Thirdly, each chapter contains multiple sections under different sub-headings. In my opinion, separate chapters should start from a new page to avoid confusion.

Considering the above-mentioned points, I rate this novel 3 out of 4 stars. There were many typing errors in the book that demand another round of editing. I would recommend this novel to those who like historical fictions or have a keen interest in the workings of early human society. Blood, gore, and violence inevitably form part of the story. However, except for the most squeamish readers, this would not deter anyone else. Additionally, the novel might provide valuable insights on how to create a better life in spite of the continuous hurdles we encounter.

Hunters of the Columbian Mammoth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shrabastee's review? Post a comment saying so!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Wow! I think I've never read a book set in primitive times and it must've been a challenge to write one, especially concerning dialogues. Adding an index was a very good idea, in my opinion. The premise is very interesting and I like that it portrays different viewpoint from different tribes. I hope the author takes your comments into account to improve the novel because it seems like it has great potential.
Thank you!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have a feeling most people in Lan's position would just lay down and die. You have to admire his courage in trying to continue on and make something of himself. Sounds like a very interesting novel, in spite of the few drawbacks. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Thank you for the good wriiten review. This can be a interesting book.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Starting over again after your tribe has been annihilated would be extremely hard to do, and you have to admire Lan for having enough courage to move on. This sounds like a very interesting story. Good review!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

This is something new: a book reflecting the pre-historical existence isn't something that can be accessed to easily. Thank you for your valuable critiques! Gave the right amount of info. needed.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

Although I pretty don't fancy reading historical books but your review has piqued my interests in this novel. I specifically love the fact that Lan was a courageous person and I won't mind checking out how he was able to survive through the era. Thank you for the well written review.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I am awed by the gargantuan span of time and apparent plot that this piece intends to tackle. Nonetheless, there's ample reason to say that it's still quite relatable, especially with the inherent dichotomy of mankind's nature. I hope our brighter side rises up more through the piece and in reality. I wonder how closely connected the book's title is to its theme, though.

Thank you for your well-written review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Sammy Kamau 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammy-kamau-2.html
Latest Review: Radioland by m.e. Elzey

Post by Sammy Kamau 2 »

A prehistorical novel about American people, their customs and way of life. A good novel for students of history. Thanks for a nice review

Return to “Historical Fiction”