Official Review: 'The Saga of Bridget and Amanda'

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: 'The Saga of Bridget and Amanda'

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "'The Saga of Bridget and Amanda'" by Carole Love Forbes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Saga of Bridget and Amanda- New Generations by Carole Love Forbes is the third book in The Saga of Bridget and Amanda series. It continues the story of both women and traces their generations starting from the second half of the 1600s.

Rachel, Bridget’s daughter, is married to Tepho, a man from the Wampanoag native tribe. They travel from New York to Pokanoket to live with the tribe and life there is peaceful until war breaks out between the English settlers and the Wampanoag. Later in the book, Alice- Rachel’s daughter, leaves for Boston where she begins to perform midwifery duties despite the resistance from the authorities. Lindy, Amanda’s daughter, is involved in the growth of Lord Baltimore’s colony and her work is later taken up by her daughter, Manda.

I liked that as the third in the series, the book continues to reveal and highlight the crucial work carried out by women and their dedication in the formation and development of their country. Rachel and Lindy face many obstacles but through their wisdom, they hold their families together and are involved in the growth of their communities. They face gender prejudice, threats of imprisonment and the devastation of war and looming revolutions with courage and they do not lose sight of their work. The women in the book also pass on their calling to their daughters who continue their legacy.

I also liked that the book sheds light on important events and topics during the era. The story touches on the slave trade during the period and its cruelty through Manda’s daughter. Another important topic that is brought to light is racial discrimination and the heart-breaking experiences of Native Americans as they fought for their land. This is explored through Tepho and Rachel’s life events. Gender inequality is another topic that is well explored in the book. The event of the witch trials in Salem is also incorporated.

I also liked that the characters were relatable through their painful experiences. They suffered loss through the death of their parents, children, friends and even mentors over and above the challenges the country was facing at the time. It is also professionally edited and I did not identify any errors.

However, it took me time to understand the plot at the beginning of Bridget and Amanda’s accounts. I would have preferred an easily comprehensible transition between book two and the third book. Still, The Saga of Bridget and Amanda- New Generations by Carole Love Forbes has a lot to offer readers who love historical works especially those focused on women. Readers who do not love history books may not enjoy it. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

'The Saga of Bridget and Amanda'
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a fascinating way to learn history through reading Carole Forbes' books. How hard would it be to read this book without reading the first two?
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

This sounds like a great story about powerful women and how that legacy can be handed down through the generations. I might look into the first book. Thanks for the review!
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

Thanks for the review. This sounds like an interesting read, but I would have liked to know more about the series in general since I haven't read the other books. I'll have to try to find a review for the first book in the series.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Thank you for the good review. This can be a really interesting book.
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

This seems to be a book with much depth. Thanks for the detailed analysis.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's nice that the characters are relatable. I also appreciate that the author discusses important topics of the time, like the slave trade. I'm glad you enjoyed this one, but I'm not sure it's for me. Thanks, anyway.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nthaizy
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Nthaizy »

It seemed to be an interesting story that touches on sensitive stories discrimination
Lungz_
Favorite Book: 50 Shades of Grey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lungz.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Lungz_ »

I love history books but unfortunately it's quite hard to relate to foreign history. Thank you for the great review.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

It's lovely that this book highlights the powerful role determined women have in helping their families grow. Even though I'm fascinated with the way mothers kept passing down their legacies onto their daughters, I think I may get lost in this third book. Perhaps books 1 and 2 would ease me gently into this one. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel

Return to “Historical Fiction”