Official Review: Happy In The Morning Happy At Night

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Official Review: Happy In The Morning Happy At Night

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Happy In The Morning Happy At Night" by Joe Abrams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Happy in the Morning Happy at Night by Joe Abrams is a children’s picture book written for kids who are 5 years old and younger. The book takes the reader on a journey around the world. Each page talks about a child from a different country. The children all have different dreams of what they want to be when they grow up. You’ll have to read this book to discover all of the exciting aspirations the children have and where they are all from!

This book was excellently written for the intended age group. The book was simple, which is good for young children. They can have a difficult time following a complex story. This one will be easy for them to follow along with, especially since the pictures really take center stage in this book and help capture the attention of the young audience. The illustrations were done by Jennie Nusbaum, and they are phenomenal. They are very detailed and vibrant. Each picture is duplicated with one copy representing “happy in the morning” and the other representing “happy at night”.

I also liked that the book was written with a pattern. It would say where the child was from then the dream that the child had about what they wanted to be when they grew up. It also said that these dreams made the children “happy in the morning and happy at night”. I loved that this format was repeated throughout the book. When I was younger, I would memorize the books my parents read to me so that I could pretend to read them out loud to my toys. Books with a repetitive format are easy to memorize, especially when the pictures give clues. I truly believe that pretending to read was what made me fall in love with reading as a child, so I think this would be a great book to introduce children to!

It is also important to mention that I didn’t notice any spelling or grammar errors within the book. I love when books, especially children’s books, are well-edited. Children should not be exposed to bad grammar because they are so impressionable. I am happy to say that I would not be worried about children reading this book because the editing was flawless!

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I honestly couldn’t find any faults with the book. The editing was perfect, the pattern was simple and easy to follow, and the illustrations were captivating. I would recommend this book for parents with young children. It would be a great book to read to children to get them interested in reading and to use as a conversation starter for talking about what their dreams are.

Happy In The Morning Happy At Night
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

This book is a tool that can be used to inspire children to have dreams and know what they want to be when they grow up. I will gladly recommend it to my nieces. Nice review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds cute. I love that it's children from around the world. I think that makes it extra special. I'm even curious to see what they all want to be. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
mihaela_bartha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mihaela-bartha.html
Latest Review: I Know My Way Memoir by Theresa Marafito with Linda Odubayo Thompson

Post by mihaela_bartha »

I think it is a great idea to have children experience the encounter with multiple cultures, and doing this by using the potential perspective of other children is probably the best way to foster empathy. I also liked the idea of encouraging them to take on dreams and aspirations as a sure method for achieving happiness.

Return to “Children's Books”