Official Review: My first day at school by Cindy B.Sinanan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Official Review: My first day at school by Cindy B.Sinanan

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My first day at school" by Cindy B.Sinanan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My First Day at School by Cindy B. Sinanan is a children’s picture book about Stacey and her first day of school in the first grade. She wakes up in the morning and is excited to start out the year, make new friends, and learn new things. Her mom helps her get ready and brushes her hair. On the way to school, they talk about how Stacey feels about going to school and what to expect. Does Stacey enjoy her first day at school? What does she learn? You’ll have to read this book to find out.

This was a beautifully illustrated book written in rhyme. The pictures were unique, and they really did a great job portraying the story. Each page of text was coupled with an eye-catching illustration. The rhyming pattern on each text page was consistent throughout the book, and it flowed well. Rhyming often doesn’t follow a good pattern in children’s books, and it can make the book difficult to read. That was not the case with this book. The rhyme definitely added to the story. Because the author kept the pattern consistent throughout, it would make the book fun to read out loud.

I thought the book was written well for the intended age group. It is written for school-age children, especially those that are around the age of the main character (first grade). The vocabulary is ideal, and the main character is relatable. It’s written at the perfect level for children that are just starting school, and I think it could be a great book to read as a bedtime story before the first day. It could help ease some of the first-day jitters.

I would also like to point out that there were no grammar or spelling errors in this book. This is always a bonus, especially because it is a children’s book. I’m a stickler on proper editing when the audience is comprised of children because children learn a lot from the books they read. I commend the author for making sure this book is properly edited.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. There wasn’t anything I didn’t like about it. The story was good for the intended age group, the illustrations were captivating, and the book was well-written. I would recommend this book to anyone with young children that are about to start school. It could also be a fun book for teachers to read to their students on the first day.

My first day at school
View: on Bookshelves

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I've read and reviewed a couple of children's books; I look forward to reading this as well. My niece will enjoy this one. Thanks
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love that this children's story has no grammatical issues. I think that's even more important in a book for this age because they don't know the difference. So many children are scared of school because it's an unknown. This book would be great to show them a bit more about it. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Your comment about failed attempts at rhyming patterns in children's books made me think about all of the books I have read to my son thus far. I have to agree with your statement. I believe I have only read one book that easily flowed through a rhyming pattern from beginning to end. We will have to add this book to our list. Thanks for a great review!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I really like the descriptions of the illustrations and the good rhyming patterns. Those are two elements that create a strong, positive emotional bond for the child with the material being read. The author has created a useful tool to help children adjust to a new step in their lives. Great review!
avegelle
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by avegelle »

I like this book it's remind me about my past when I was just in my first school day"
Rhoda1997

Post by Rhoda1997 »

I like the book because is educative with lot of moral lessons for children
mihaela_bartha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mihaela-bartha.html
Latest Review: I Know My Way Memoir by Theresa Marafito with Linda Odubayo Thompson

Post by mihaela_bartha »

I am a teacher so discovering new well written children's books is something I am interested in. I am not so keen on rhymes, but you convinced me that this is a well written book so maybe I will give it a try. Thank you for the review!
winrev_9

Post by winrev_9 »

A book about my first day at school has always caught my attention, this i guess is because of the commonality of the topic. I mean, everybody has a version of this story, but its always unique.

Your review reveals that the book does not miss out the fact that most times, there are at least two parties affected by 'the first day at school', that is the parent, and the child. The preparation for school, the act of going to school, and even the aftermath of the experience can be very emotional and, is almost always shared by the parent, in most cases the mother.

I don't like the fact that your review has not relieved my curiosity on the big question, 'did she enjoy her first day at school?'! I guess I have no choice but to read the book since I really must get an answer to that question. That, and the fact that you said 'there wasn't anything I didn't like about the book' makes me look forward to reading it.

Thank you.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

I like that the author is trying to make the first day of school into something exciting rather than something scary for kids.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Really well written with great illustrations, I'll have to check this out for my niece and nephew. One's finishing kindergarten, and the other starts next year. This seems like a great book to read to them both. Great review!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This would have been a perfect book to share with my little one before they went to kindergarten.
I like that it rhymes, and shows value in expressing feelings. Starting school can be challenging time for kids, and this looks like a great read.

Return to “Children's Books”