Official Review: Cocoon by Veronica Red

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Official Review: Cocoon by Veronica Red

Post by EvaDar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cocoon" by Veronica Red.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Years ago, I took my young nieces to visit a butterfly conservatory – a lepidopterarium – to be more precise. I recall their intense focus on each exhibit, from caterpillar to butterfly. One of my nieces was fixed on the cocoons and the other on the butterflies. My fond memory of the girls’ enjoyment of this experience re-emerged when I laid eyes on Veronica Red’s 2018 children’s book, Cocoon: Water Child.

The book depicts a simple journey of presence, appreciation, and transformation. The story is told in first person through the eyes of a young girl who shares with the reader beautiful details of her relationship with each stage of a caterpillar’s transformation. She recognizes the safety and protection offered by the cocoon as she plays the guitar and sings to it, encouraging it to emerge. The lovely, age-appropriate illustrations reflect a middle-school-aged girl witnessing each phase of her little friend’s process, until it floats away, fully transformed.

Reading the author’s biography adds important context to the story. Veronica Red works with children to help enhance their sense of self, encouraging them to discover their unique way of exploring the natural world through their physical and spiritual senses. A student of the spiritual arts, Veronica Red explores children’s innate attraction to nature through the elemental energy of water and the characteristics of astrological water signs. There is not that much water imagery in the text, which threw me off at first. Then I realized the water reference is about the energy and sensibilities of the child. Astrologically, water sign children are known for being sensitive, caring, and affectionate. These qualities are revealed in Veronica Red’s portrayal of the protagonist’s deep presence and appreciation for the being she befriends. While interesting to me, the reader does not necessarily need to be aware of this context in order to appreciate the story or its message.

The book can easily be read by middle-school-aged children. Younger kids would enjoy having the book read to them. They may need some help with complex concepts and longer words, such as milestone and protectively. Cocoon: Water Child presents many opportunities for kids to learn about nature, compassion, patience, and presence. The twenty-two-page book’s formatting and presentation are lovely, with a few short paragraphs per page, opposite a fitting illustration. The text appears to be professionally edited.

I am pleased to award Cocoon: Water Child a rating of 4 out of 4 stars for its simplicity, sensitivity, and attunement to children’s affinity for nature. It elicited a sweet memory of a dear time with my nieces; it also encouraged me to get up and go out in nature. I don’t happen to be a water sign, but the book did its magic on me, nonetheless.

Cocoon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Eva Darrington's review? Post a comment saying so!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

That was a nice review. This is seems to be a beautiful book. In today's generation where technologu prevails, I think its good to have books like this to bring back young minds to nature.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

This is such a lovely review. I learned a new word: lepidopterarium. The book sounds interesting to kids- who doesn’t find butterfly transformations interesting?! The author herself also sounds like an interesting individual.

To me the astrological connection seems unnecessary. (But maybe I’m just grumpy bc I’m not a water sign. ;) )
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

As you said, this book sounds lovely - That's a great word for it. My nature-fixated children would appreciate this one. Thanks for the also-lovely review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This seems like a great book for children. I love the cover. I'm not really in the target age group, nor do I have children. Therefore, I'll pass, but I always appreciate a good children's book review. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author has chosen a unique story line to help children learn about change. I find her ideas fascinating. I think this book would captivate children's attention and teach values at the same time. Wonderful review.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I attended a class last summer that taught me how to raise Monarch Butterflies. I am definitely interested in reading this book. Thank you for a beautiful review!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Shielasshi_93 wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 01:55 That was a nice review. This is seems to be a beautiful book. In today's generation where technologu prevails, I think its good to have books like this to bring back young minds to nature.
Yes, it is a quality book that encourages children to appreciate nature. I appreciate you dropping by and commenting!
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 02:33 This is such a lovely review. I learned a new word: lepidopterarium. The book sounds interesting to kids- who doesn’t find butterfly transformations interesting?! The author herself also sounds like an interesting individual.

To me the astrological connection seems unnecessary. (But maybe I’m just grumpy bc I’m not a water sign. ;) )
Yes, the astrology piece was more contextual, but the book could be enjoyed without it. Thanks so much for your comments and for taking the time to stop by.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

SamSim wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 08:38 As you said, this book sounds lovely - That's a great word for it. My nature-fixated children would appreciate this one. Thanks for the also-lovely review!
Thank you so much for dropping by and sharing your thoughts!
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

kandscreeley wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 09:13 This seems like a great book for children. I love the cover. I'm not really in the target age group, nor do I have children. Therefore, I'll pass, but I always appreciate a good children's book review. Thanks.
I do look forward to reading this to the kids I babysit. We will see how it goes over. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

kdstrack wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 09:45 The author has chosen a unique story line to help children learn about change. I find her ideas fascinating. I think this book would captivate children's attention and teach values at the same time. Wonderful review.
Thank you! I appreciate you dropping by and sharing your thoughts. I liked this little book and think kids will, too.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Jessacardinal wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 21:23 I attended a class last summer that taught me how to raise Monarch Butterflies. I am definitely interested in reading this book. Thank you for a beautiful review!
What a great class to take! I would have loved that. I hope you enjoy the book.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Cheshire_wolf
Favorite Author: J.R. Ward
Favorite Book: Allison's Adventures in Underland
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshire-wolf.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00TXSSXJ0
fav_author_id: 4145

Post by Cheshire_wolf »

Shielasshi_93 wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 01:55 That was a nice review. This is seems to be a beautiful book. In today's generation where technologu prevails, I think its good to have books like this to bring back young minds to nature.
I agree. The only Caterpillar book I remember reading was A very hungry Caterpillar. This book seems to bring out much more in a young children's book. Even though I'm not a child or a mother, this review made me feel like I should read it.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like such a lovely children's book, and I appreciate your engaging review.

Return to “Children's Books”