Official Review: Odonata The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Odonata The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass...

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Odonata The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond" by Barbara Gervais Ciancimino.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bullying is one of my least favorite things in life. I grew up bullied myself, and as I learned to stand up for myself I also learned to stand up for others who are bullied. One of my favorite ways that people fight bullying is preventing it in the first place by showing kids how awful it can be, and one of the best ways to show that to children is through stories.

One of the most famous anti-bullying stories is married to Christmas: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. And now, for those who don't celebrate Christmas, who want something new, or who want a more realistic slant to it, you can check out Odonata: The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond by Barbara Gervais Ciancimino.

Odonata: The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond tells the story of a dragonfly named Odonata. All of the other dragonflies in Maiden Grass Pond have colorful wings except Odonata, who has plain, colorless wings. This difference makes Odonata "different", so none of the other dragonflies want to play with him. Not only that, the meanest, biggest dragonfly of all - a Blue Hawker dragonfly named Drago - bullies him relentlessly. But one day it starts raining, and while rain can be annoying for people, it can be fatal for dragonflies as it makes their wings stop working! When Drago decides to show off in the rain and vanishes, only Odonata is brave enough to try to help.

Odonata: The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond is a cute children's picture book with full-page cartoony images. The characters are especially cute, especially Croaker the Bullfrog who wants to eat all the dragonflies, sitting there on his lilypad with his mouth wide open.

The story itself is sweet too, and I really like that it balances its Rudolph-style roots in science. Odonata is the scientific order for dragonflies, for example, and dragonflies truly can't fly in the rain. The Blue Hawker dragonfly - Drago in the story - is the largest North American dragonfly and actually does ram into other dragonflies just like Drago does in the story. And the end of the book is a list of 20 fun facts about dragonflies, including the few things I just mentioned here.

Overall Odonata: The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond is an easy recommendation for children who like insects or science. I didn't see any grammatical errors, and the writing is smooth and easy to read. The art is mostly cute, and the characters are very expressive, but a few of the background pieces are a bit plain. The font could be a bit easier to read from a distance, but on my laptop or even on a Kindle it's easy to read up close. I'd rate the book 3.5 stars if I could, and I almost gave it 3, but once I checked it out on my Kindle instead of my laptop I feel that it deserves 4 out of 4 stars. It just feels so much sharper and alive on the Kindle, although I certainly wouldn't recommend the book to people who use their phone or a computer with a monitor smaller than 17".

Odonata The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Bullying is a subject that needs to be dealt with, for sure. This seems like a cute take on the subject. However, I'm not of the age range, nor do I have children. I'll pass. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
chewy4uto
Currently Reading: Betrayal of Justice
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chewy4uto.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by chewy4uto »

It is so beautiful to see authors taking on the subject of bullying. There is no better way to authenticate the topic of harassment, then to write about it in a children's book. Dragonflies you ROCK! Cute idea with exciting illustrations. I will need to get this one for the little ones in my life.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Maybe this book will become a movie too, like Rudolph! The informative facts included at the end of the book are a big plus. We never got that kind of information about reindeer! Thanks for a lovely review on this sensitive subject.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

I love children’s books that mix in little scientific references. Anti-bullying messages are incredibly
important also. Thanks for bringing our attention to this book. :)
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I would have passed over this one initially, but your review makes me want to read it to my kids. I have Cerebral Palsy, and public school was ugly for me, so I'm determined to raise kids who don't bully. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
mihaela_bartha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mihaela-bartha.html
Latest Review: I Know My Way Memoir by Theresa Marafito with Linda Odubayo Thompson

Post by mihaela_bartha »

A book on bullying, excellent. I'll make sure to remember this one when I'll be compiling a new reading list for my students. The fact that the story is underpinned by scientific data makes it a 5 star book in my opinion :). Thank you for the review, I really appreciate it.

Return to “Children's Books”