Official Review: Something’s Eating The Garden

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Something’s Eating The Garden

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Something’s Eating The Garden" by Pam Fries.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Something’s Eating the Garden is a children’s picture book written and illustrated by Pam Fries. While eating a meal, a little boy speculates who could be eating the fruit and vegetable crops in his family’s garden. Papa provides pertinent information about various animals as the child asks about potential suspects. For example, Papa explains that a frog would be more interested in eating bugs than beans.

I enjoyed this short book which has an interesting plot twist. Written completely in rhyme, the storyline is easy to follow. There is a traditional rhyme scheme, with the second and fourth lines rhyming in each stanza. Kids usually love rhymes so this aspect is a nice bonus. Also, there are no advanced words, so the book would be a good choice for beginning readers.

The rhymes aren’t always obvious due to the format. Sometimes all four lines are on the same page, but other times two of the lines are on the next page; in one instance, the four-line set is laid out across three pages. In a paper version of the book, I assume the pages would be side by side, and the rhyming words would be easy to spot. However, this isn’t the case in the Kindle format.

One minor gripe I have is the little boy isn’t given a proper name. Although this omission doesn’t affect the plot, it gives an impersonal feel to the character. Children often name their stuffed animals and other play figures, so they might relate better to a character with a proper name.

The pages contain full-length illustrations that look like beautiful paintings. The animals have a textured appearance – for example, there are subtle color changes in the pig’s hair and ears. On each page, a different animal is shown holding or chomping on a specific item. The pictures tie in nicely with the narrative and could spark further discussion about various animals and foods.

The book contains only one error - the closing quotation mark is incorrectly shown on the next line. However, this mistake is very noticeable since it is on the first page in an extremely short book.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is an entertaining and educational tale suitable for children ages 3-8, especially those who enjoy food or animal themes. Older kids would likely be more interested in a longer story with a more detailed plot. Although the plot and illustrations are top-notch, the other issues I mentioned caused me to lower the overall rating.

Something’s Eating The Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

I love reading rhymes too! I think this will be a good book to learn about animals. I agree that the author should've given the boy a proper name.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A rhymed children’s picture book about animals sounds sweet! Encouraging kids to eat by giving them information about the food habits of the animals is a great idea. A pity about the bad format and the lack of proper name. I agree that lack of a name gives an impersonal feel. Kids will connect more to a hero with a proper name. Hopefully the one error will be fixed. Great review as always!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Honestly, when I read the title it really didn't sound like an interesting book. Now that I've read your review I'll look for it and gift it to my little niece. Good review. :D
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

What a cute idea for a children's book. Living in a rural area, we always know what's eating our garden--deer and rabbits! It is strange that the little boy wasn't given a name. Otherwise, it sounds like a fun book for young readers, and I enjoyed your review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

A perfect book for children. I love the attractive cover. The textured appearance of the animals is a big plus for the younger ones. Thanks for your wonderful review. This book is an excellent gift idea to encourage young ones to read and instill in them a love for books.
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the kind words.
Gali - I felt awkward mentioning one error in the review. However, it was so noticeable since it was on the first page in a very short book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
chewy4uto
Currently Reading: Betrayal of Justice
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chewy4uto.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by chewy4uto »

I have a little one that I take care of, is four years old and is a picky eater. Everything is I won't like it. This book with beautiful illustrations looks like a good book to read to him. It may help to make it fun! I resited a nursery rhyme to him the other day, and it surprised me that he didn't know any verses. Thank you for your review I enjoyed reading it.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

The cover of the book is beautiful. I am happy to read the interior illustrations appear to match the attractive cover.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Sounds great, and it teaches kids about animals and deduction skills.
Joanna Urive
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Joanna Urive »

It's fantastic when you read the book because it's easy to get children intrigue with animals .
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do think children would be able to identify with the main character more if he had a name. Still, I like the idea of learning about various animals this way in order to find out who is eating the garden. Thanks for the great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
unamilagra
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Great review. You are right about the name issue, my daughter always asks, "but what's his name?" if the character is not named in a book.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

A children's book with rhyming and food and garden themes. Sounds delightful! Really enjoyed your description of what works well about this book and what you thought could have been improved.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I just love the cover. It sounds like a cute story.

Return to “Children's Books”