Official Review: Nana Doesn't Know Me by Donna M. Dube

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Olaoluwa_oso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olaoluwa-oso.html
Latest Review: The Misadventures Of Jimmy Crookshank by D.R. Blair

Re: Official Review: Nana Doesn't Know Me by Donna M. Dube

Post by Olaoluwa_oso »

When Situations like this arises, it either makes you love your Nana more if you are understanding, even though not always conducive or despise her that she came to take over everything you were enjoying especially attention you were getting. Really good review.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the feedback! The story actually includes a scene that includes some examples of what having Alzheimer's might feel like. Also, several symptoms are described during the story, such as Nana leaving the house and no one knowing where she went (including her). Although this is a sad topic for a children's book, the author does a wonderful job of balancing the serious parts with light-hearted, fun scenes.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds like a great book for parents to use to talk to their kids about a grandparent with Alzheimer's, whether the grandparent would be living with them or not. Great review!
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

What an important and needed book. I will be looking into it for my family, as my husband's grandparents both have this disease and it is difficult for our kids to understand.
PGreen
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by PGreen »

Given the cover of the book and the main character's age, I'm surprised there are no illustrations. This didn't seem to be an issue since it sounds like the author paints vivid word pictures. I can imagine this would be a good book to read with or aloud to a child, especially with the seriousness of a topic like a grandparent with Alzheimer's. I would love to see more children's books that tackle issues like this!

Return to “Children's Books”