Official Review: The Scary Snow Day by Kyle Derby Pratt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Official Review: The Scary Snow Day by Kyle Derby Pratt

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Itskai88 wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 18:06 This book will be great not only for kids but it can also be used as an avenue for parents to educate children on fear and how to handle it. Kids might also be more open about their fears after reading this. Great review.
Yes, it's not just a book, it's a great tool. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

Willy 1 wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 16:52 The way you gushed over the book is so endearing. I hope it helps someone out there face their fears and overcome it. Good review.
The book itself is very endearing. Thank you for your kind comments!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

Destinee Lough wrote: 23 Jan 2019, 19:23 I love the idea of this book. It would be a good one for my son and I to read together. It has a lot of potential.
Yes, I definitely recommend it. Thank you for reading and commenting!
Samantha Simoneau

Sabena Lemoine
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sabena Lemoine »

This book its the best idea on how to teach or encourage kids to face the challenge in life and how adventure it is and how to enjoy it when they tried it to their life.
chewy4uto
Currently Reading: Betrayal of Justice
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chewy4uto.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by chewy4uto »

I enjoyed reading your review. I love children books. I am always looking for eye captivating illustrated books. I appreciate your comments on the editing.
Laura3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura3.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Laura3 »

Thanks for the review. It's very engaging. It seems like a book for children and adults to appreciate. I appreciate fear. I'm afraid to slide down a steep hill. I don't remember how often I went sledding as a child, when I lived where winters get very snowy.

At what age do you think children could correct this book's errors?
Olaoluwa_oso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olaoluwa-oso.html
Latest Review: The Misadventures Of Jimmy Crookshank by D.R. Blair

Post by Olaoluwa_oso »

Adults can even take a thing or two from the lesson in this book. Don't be afraid to try something new. Hopefully the author would do the necessary about the errors in the book. Good review.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

Sabena Lemoine wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 16:50 This book its the best idea on how to teach or encourage kids to face the challenge in life and how adventure it is and how to enjoy it when they tried it to their life.
This is a very encouraging and relatable book. Thank you for reading and replying!
Samantha Simoneau

Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

chewy4uto wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 02:25 I enjoyed reading your review. I love children books. I am always looking for eye captivating illustrated books. I appreciate your comments on the editing.
I also love a good kids' book! This one is adorably illustrated. Thank you for reading and replying!
Samantha Simoneau

Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

Laura3 wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 17:52 Thanks for the review. It's very engaging. It seems like a book for children and adults to appreciate. I appreciate fear. I'm afraid to slide down a steep hill. I don't remember how often I went sledding as a child, when I lived where winters get very snowy.

At what age do you think children could correct this book's errors?
There is definitely plenty for adults and kids to connect about in this book. I think an astute second- or third-grader would recognize the editing issues here. The book is so good, a child probably wouldn't pay any mind to the errors. My concern is just that a small child who is learning correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation through observation can be confused and misled by children's books that haven't been impeccably edited. This book's only issues in that regard are related to punctuation. Thank you very much for reading and commenting!
Samantha Simoneau

Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

Olaoluwa_oso wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 07:16 Adults can even take a thing or two from the lesson in this book. Don't be afraid to try something new. Hopefully the author would do the necessary about the errors in the book. Good review.
Yes, the point made in this book is universally relevant. It is near perfect and only needs tweaking with regard to punctuation and one illustrated page. Thank you for reading and commenting!
Samantha Simoneau

Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review and I totally agree with you that just because it’s a children’s book doesn’t mean that the grammar and punctuation can be slacked on.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

Helen_Combe wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 08:56 Great review and I totally agree with you that just because it’s a children’s book doesn’t mean that the grammar and punctuation can be slacked on.
Thank you!
Samantha Simoneau

BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

This sounds delightful! I like books that are able to tap into what it is like to be a child- I forgot how scary things like big hills can be!- as well as walk children through facing their fears/mastering their abilities, all with a charming rhyme scheme. Thanks for review.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 10 Feb 2019, 13:57 This sounds delightful! I like books that are able to tap into what it is like to be a child- I forgot how scary things like big hills can be!- as well as walk children through facing their fears/mastering their abilities, all with a charming rhyme scheme. Thanks for review.
Delightful it is! Thank you for reading and commenting!
Samantha Simoneau

Return to “Children's Books”