Official Review: One Quirky Bird, the Roadrunner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: One Quirky Bird, the Roadrunner

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "One Quirky Bird, the Roadrunner" by Kay Haynes Lottinger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One Quirky Bird, the Roadrunner by Kay Haynes Lottinger is an adorable and informational book for kids who want to know more about the quirky bird in question.

While out for a walk in the park their first day of summer vacation, Kelly and Velma see a funny-looking bird run by. They are instantly intrigued and want to know what it is. So, they head to the library to do some research, where they discover their new feathered friend is none other than the Greater Roadrunner. With this discovery comes a wealth of information about roadrunners, including appearance, habitat, nest, and so much more.

This book is perfectly constructed for young readers. The inclusion of Velma and Kelly make this more than just another reference guide. Kids can see other kids being excited about learning and looking stuff up. In this way, the book both educates about the roadrunner and shows kids that learning can be fun.

While this book is mainly for kids, it can be read by anyone. As an adult, I learned so much about the roadrunner, as well as some general animal stuff. I even came across some words I didn’t know. One of these was zygodactyl—when the foot has four toes, two pointing forward and two backward. I thought this was neat, and the author handled the introduction of this big word beautifully. She explained it in a way kids would understand and went on to show how the zygodactyl toes help the roadrunner.

Though this book is short, Velma and Kelly stand out as characters. In particular, I love when they go to the library. While Velma prefers to work on the computer, Kelly likes physical books. This felt like such an important distinction. It shows young readers that there’s no right or wrong way to learn. Each person does what works for them. Later, Velma looks at one of Kelly’s books, introducing the idea that one can learn in multiple ways. These are vitally important lessons for kids just learning how to do research. Furthermore, in today’s digital society, it was so nice to see Kelly interested in actual books.

This book was very well-edited. I noticed only two mistakes. For a fun and informative story that was easy to read, I rate One Quirky Bird, the Roadrunner 4 out of 4 stars. I never really considered giving it less. As I said above, this book could be enjoyed by anyone. Not only is the text informative, but there are pictures (done by high school students) throughout. The book ends with a list of websites and books with more information about the roadrunner, so both the Velmas and Kellys of the world can learn more if they so desire.

One Quirky Bird, the Roadrunner
View: on Bookshelves

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

Furthermore, in today’s digital society, it was so nice to see Kelly interested in actual books.

This is true! Thanks for a good review!
Axel360
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Axel360 »

Well,is nice it has a unique title..i think kid would learn a lot from this book.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

New words, learning, and libraries - Oh, my! lol. I love a children's book that also educates adults. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I love birds! I will have to check this out.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

The book sounds like it carries a lot of helpful information for young readers. It is especially important to learn how to do research from a young age. Thank you for the recommendation and great review by the way. Quick question, does the book have pictures about what the road runner actually looks like or does it only give descriptions?
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a great book for kids. I love the research component. Sadly, a bit old for this one and have no kids. I appreciate your review, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This sounds like a perfect book for all those homeschoolers out there. They will not only read it, but they will teach their kids how to make their own books similar to this one! Thanks for the great review and the recommendation.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

The cover page looks really well done and this will make for a good study time with kids. Great review.
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

Catchy title and beautiful cover. Quite informative book. Good review.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

That's a big word, indeed, even for me! I wonder how the author did it. Thank you for your interesting review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

A lovely book, especially for kids, although as you mention we can all learn from it. I think it's important kids learn about animals and nature and create empathy so they can take better care of the planet.
Great review!
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

They are instantly intrigued and want to know what it is. So, they head to the library to do some research, where they discover their new feathered friend is none other than the Greater Roadrunner.

I really want this to be a model for my kids. Everything they see I want then to head to the small home library we have and google it up! As adults they will not only be properly informed but with character that will keep them away from ignorance. Love your review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

This book is perfectly constructed for young readers. The inclusion of Velma and Kelly make this more than just another reference guide. Kids can see other kids being excited about learning and looking stuff up. In this way, the book both educates about the roadrunner and shows kids that learning can be fun.
It's so important to encourage kids curiosity and to show them the many ways there are to learn things they're interested in. I think besides learning about this quirky bird, which of course can be interesting, the message on the importance of discovering new things and how fun learning can be is amazing. Kids are naturally curious and we shouldn't lose this enthusiasm to learn as adults.
Thank you for your great review.

Return to “Children's Books”