Official Review: Down the Monster Hole by Carmela Tal Baron

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Official Review: Down the Monster Hole by Carmela Tal Baron

Post by EvaDar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Down the Monster Hole" by Carmela Tal Baron.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Young Tom loves to sleep. This has caused Tom some unfortunate problems, since going to school generally involves being awake. Feeling misunderstood at home and school, Tom sets out on his own and happens upon a series of adventures that he won’t soon forget. Carmela Tal Baron’s Down the Monster Hole, or Don’t be Afraid I am Only a Child is a magical children’s fantasy tale that chronicles the obstacles and opportunities Tom encounters in a day that ended much differently than it began.

Some free-spirited new friends introduce Tom to a secret kingdom of monsters that are cleverly disguised as a machine graveyard. A pile of broken bicycles become giant, majestic insects; some old typewriters turn into big birds with bright, yellow feathers; big, old, rusty cranes are actually friendly, talking giraffes; and you won’t believe what happens when Tom encounters Jack the shark! Young readers will learn the all-important Membership Rules in the Kingdom of Monsters and experience the affirming Rite of Blessings. (I am matching my capitalization to the author’s.) Will Tom survive the Temple of Puzzles and Puzzlement? Will he be the one to find the Dragon King and become the Utmost Monstrous Monster? You will enjoy finding out.

Carmela Tal Baron’s magical imagery, positive messages, and lyrical narrative engaged me throughout the book. She weaves an action-packed series of adventures that never really slow down and always deliver an important growth opportunity for the young protagonist. Tom’s experiences enable him to overcome the obstacles that were making his life miserable. He learns that there are many ways to look and listen, that everyone has hidden gifts that make them wonderfully unique, that love knows no bounds of appearance, and my favorite: that things are hardly ever what they seem. These and other lessons make this fantasy story a delightful choice for kids of all ages. At 130 pages, this book can be easily read by most middle-school-aged kids. Younger kids may need some words explained but will enjoy having the book read to them.

This talented author is also a visual artist and created the book’s illustrations. Most of them are hand-drawn, playful, colorful, and likely will be fun and interesting to kids. These illustrations are one of my favorite elements of the book. The second type of illustration is more graphic and geometric in style. I don’t think these will appeal to kids as much. The first style better matches the reader’s age range and the book’s themes. Streamlining the style of the drawings would benefit the book.

There are a couple of additional small problems that prevent a perfect rating for this book. The text moves from narrative prose and dialogue to poetry, and back, with relative ease. The poetic sections, however, are inconsistent at times, haphazardly combining rhyming lines with non-rhyming lines. This might trip up some younger readers. The book does contain some editing errors: mostly comma and punctuation errors, and a misplaced modifier. The errors did not affect my enjoyment of the book.

Down the Monster Hole earns 3 out of 4 stars for its continuous action, positive messages, and lyrical language. This is a children’s fantasy adventure that parents and kids will both enjoy. You can be sure, on days when I don’t want to wake up, I will be searching my dreams for Seven the flower-maiden and the seven rays of the sun.

Down the Monster Hole
View: on Bookshelves

Like Eva Darrington's review? Post a comment saying so!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I love it when a children's book author does the illustrations as well. It shows how talented they really are!
Great review.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This sounds like a very imaginative work. I like the idea of the old machines that turn into animals.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Bianka Walter wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 03:58 I love it when a children's book author does the illustrations as well. It shows how talented they really are!
Great review.
This author is multi-talented. She is a writer, artist, and a singer/songwriter, as well. Thanks for stopping by, Bianka!
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 10:16 This sounds like a very imaginative work. I like the idea of the old machines that turn into animals.
Yes. This author has a very creative spirit, and her imagery is really fun. Thanks so much for dropping by!
-Nayyirah Waheed
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I really appreciate well-done illustrations in a children's book. The book sounds delightful, as was your review!
Enevia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Enevia »

Awesome, this is delightful..The author's imaginations are really nice..
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I feel Tom's pain. If I could make a living sleeping, I totally would. This sounds cute, and I love the illustrations. Thanks for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This seems like a great book for not just its target audience, but adults as well! I'll be placing this on my to-read list. Thanks for the review.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Cecilia_L wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 11:32 I really appreciate well-done illustrations in a children's book. The book sounds delightful, as was your review!
I agree. Illustrations are crucial in kids books. This author did a really nice job. Thanks Cecilia!
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Enevia wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 13:02 Awesome, this is delightful..The author's imaginations are really nice..
Thank you for dropping by and sharing a comment! I appreciate it.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

kandscreeley wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 08:38 I feel Tom's pain. If I could make a living sleeping, I totally would. This sounds cute, and I love the illustrations. Thanks for a great review.
You will appreciate Tom's harrowing battle with an army of alarm clocks. Thanks for dropping by!
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

gen_g wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 12:17 This seems like a great book for not just its target audience, but adults as well! I'll be placing this on my to-read list. Thanks for the review.
I really enjoyed the story. It was long enough to feel like well-developed fiction but short enough to be a nice break from complexity. Thanks for stopping by!
-Nayyirah Waheed
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

The book title "Down the Monster Hole" reminds me of the way Alice went down the Rabbit Hole in Alice and Wonderland. This story sounds like it takes a spooky twist to the narrative by including real monsters that appear as inanimate objects. I think this story would be perfect to read to my kids on Halloween. I'd love to get a copy. Thanks for the review!
:character-ariel:
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Alicia09 wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 15:43 The book title "Down the Monster Hole" reminds me of the way Alice went down the Rabbit Hole in Alice and Wonderland. This story sounds like it takes a spooky twist to the narrative by including real monsters that appear as inanimate objects. I think this story would be perfect to read to my kids on Halloween. I'd love to get a copy. Thanks for the review!
This book definitely has some similarities to Alice in Wonderland. The dreamlike fantasy quality, for sure. I do think kids would enjoy this one. And most of the monsters of course turn out to be very friendly. Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts.
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Children's Books”