Official Review: Dreamcats by Christopher Best

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Re: Official Review: Dreamcats by Christopher Best

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Alicia09, Sakilunamermaid, and Yisellesuarez for the feedback! Alicia09 and Sakilunamermaid - In some ways, I could see adults enjoying the book more than children, due to the length of the book and political parts.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I was with you up until the humans got killed and turned into food. Yikes. That sounds like a dystopian thriller, not a children's book. I once reviewed a children's book with a terrifying theme in it. It was a bit challenging. You did a nice job on this balanced and honest review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Eva Darrington wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 23:46 I was with you up until the humans got killed and turned into food. Yikes. That sounds like a dystopian thriller, not a children's book. I once reviewed a children's book with a terrifying theme in it. It was a bit challenging. You did a nice job on this balanced and honest review.
I felt the same way. Some of the concepts were a little creepy. To be fair, there are some fairy tales that have terrifying themes - e.g. - the wolf who wanted to eat Little Red Riding Rood, the witch who wants to cook and eat Hansel and Gretel, etc. I don't remember being scared by those stories.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

bookowlie wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 12:43
Eva Darrington wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 23:46 I was with you up until the humans got killed and turned into food. Yikes. That sounds like a dystopian thriller, not a children's book. I once reviewed a children's book with a terrifying theme in it. It was a bit challenging. You did a nice job on this balanced and honest review.
I felt the same way. Some of the concepts were a little creepy. To be fair, there are some fairy tales that have terrifying themes - e.g. - the wolf who wanted to eat Little Red Riding Rood, the witch who wants to cook and eat Hansel and Gretel, etc. I don't remember being scared by those stories.
Very good point. Something about the processing into food that made it a bit too graphic for me. :lol2: But you are so right. Lots of "fairy tales" have terrifying themes. I remember there is a really scary version of Sleeping Beauty where she gets raped by a king while she is sleeping. I couldn't believe the story was written for children, but it was. :techie-studyinggray:
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Eva Darrington wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 15:11
bookowlie wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 12:43
Very good point. Something about the processing into food that made it a bit too graphic for me. :lol2: But you are so right. Lots of "fairy tales" have terrifying themes. I remember there is a really scary version of Sleeping Beauty where she gets raped by a king while she is sleeping. I couldn't believe the story was written for children, but it was. :techie-studyinggray:
Wow! I didn't know about that version of Sleeping Beauty. So inappropriate for children!
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

A town run by oversized cats who act like people is the height of fiction. I commend the author's explosive imagination.

Return to “Children's Books”