Official Review: Love You Too by Sarah Sexton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Love You Too by Sarah Sexton

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love You Too" by Sarah Sexton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Love You Too by Sarah Sexton is a collection of poems that emphasizes the value of love.

The children’s book explains what love can achieve for any person who chooses to love others. The author speaks of the need to find new ways to love even as we grow. She also presents love as a win-win situation where the more a person gives the more they receive. Sexton appreciates the challenges that come with loving someone, whether a friend or even a family member, but she also recognizes the opportunities that are available when we choose to love.

The illustrations contained in Love You Too are whimsical, colorful and present a beautiful background for the content. The characters highlighted in the illustrations are mostly wild animals such as foxes, hippos, giraffes and elephants. The beautiful images make the collection even more captivating while the characters add an interesting strand to the book. The images feature the animals with their young ones which make it easier for a parent to explain the topic of love for their child using the book. The child could also easily grasp the theme of the book and relate to the messages being conveyed.

The book also contains well-designed exercises that will excite any young reader. In one of the exercises, the child is encouraged to write love expressions to other people using poetic expressions. This not only builds their writing skills but also encourages the child to show kindness and compassion to other people around them. In another exercise, the child is allowed to draw representations of love depending on how they perceive it while including images of people that they like. The fun activities contained make the book interesting for every young reader and helps them to learn how to love others through participation.

Another wonderful feature of the book is that the author explores various kinds of love that a child can identify with but most importantly, she explains the value of loving oneself. I liked that the reader is encouraged to care for themselves so as to be able to express love to others. She also includes the importance of cultivating the passion required for the work one does. The varieties of love that appear in the book are extensive and applicable.

Love You Too by Sarah Sexton is a beneficial addition to any child’s library because of its invaluable lessons. It is simple yet thoroughly impactful. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Love You Too
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the lessons that this book includes. Great for children to really learn the meaning of love. I also love the thought that the author presents about the more that you give, the more you receive. That's a good way to look at love. Thanks for this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I like that the author introduces the concept of love to young children, and also includes interactive exercises that they can enjoy with adults. The beautiful illustrations will keep children coming back for more.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The illustrations contained in Love You Too are whimsical, colorful and present a beautiful background for the content. The characters highlighted in the illustrations are mostly wild animals such as foxes, hippos, giraffes and elephants. The beautiful images make the collection even more captivating while the characters add an interesting strand to the book. The images feature the animals with their young ones which make it easier for a parent to explain the topic of love for their child using the book. The child could also easily grasp the theme of the book and relate to the messages being conveyed.
I adore children's books, and this sounds like it has all the makings of an excellent one. Great review!
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

The concept of love in the book is wonderful and also educative. I like the part of the challenges that come with loving someone and opportunities available when we choose to love.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

This practicable means is a very interesting way to tell the young ones about love. I would love to read this, i think it is offering much that i too could benefit from, besides i love any level of poetry. Thanks for the good review.
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

This honestly seems like such a heartwarming and informative book for young children. I also love the emphasis on loving oneself first.
Congratulations on the wonderful review!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Charming theme. That's nice the book comes with exercises. Thanks for the review!
:tiphat:
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

Going through your review i can see why you awarded it 4 stars. It looks like a book worth anyone's time more so the intended target audience, who very much happen to be children. The moral lessons are also easy to grasp. Lovely review
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick

Return to “Children's Books”