Official Review: Beach Ballet Stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: Beach Ballet Stories

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beach Ballet Stories" by Karen Mae Somerfield.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Beach Ballet Stories by Karen Mae Somerfield follows Lucy through her first semester at the Beach Ballet school. Nervous about starting classes after feeling like she was too excited during her audition, Lucy vows to get off on the right foot. She makes an effort to be immediate besties with her roomies and do well at all her dances. But to Lucy, it seems like everything she does and says just gets her into trouble or annoys someone. With the help of her friends, can she get herself on track and fit in at her new school?

I was really excited to read this book. I have a soft spot for the performing arts, and I love books about boarding schools and kids bonding. Beach Ballet Stories definitely has these elements, especially the bonding. Lucy and her friends are a great little group to watch.

On the other hand, though, the group felt a bit torn. It takes one of Lucy’s roommates, Thalia, a while to get in with the group due to some home issues. Aside from her, Lucy’s friends don’t always seem like, well, friends. They pick on her about her abrasive personality a lot, and they are constantly telling her not to do or say things. Sometimes, it’s warranted. Other times, I felt bad for Lucy because it seemed her friends were ganging up on her.

The dynamic between the girls is really a piece of a larger problem, which is that the characters didn’t feel very well fleshed out. This is mostly due to the length of the book. With so much going on and so many characters, there wasn’t time to focus on character growth. As a result, I had a tough time connecting to any of the girls, even Lucy. Some were more distinguishable than others, but overall, I wanted more.

Similarly, I wanted more about the dances. Rehearsals and performances feel glossed over in a “and then we were done” way. I wanted to feel the emotions while the girls were dancing. I even wanted to see the individual steps, hear the music, get the full effect of watching a performance on the page. There were a few places where bits of that poked through, but it wasn’t enough to immerse me in the world of dance.

I noticed many errors throughout, mostly a lack of punctuation. This, along with not being able to fully get into the story, leads me to rate Beach Ballet Stories 2 out of 4 stars. There is amazing potential here for a middle-grade book about dance and girls bonding—breaking rules, holding each other up, and generally being girls at boarding school. For the bones of that story, my rating is brought up from 1, but I can’t quite give this 3. I recommend this story to lovers of young adult fiction and dance. Girls in the nine to thirteen age range would enjoy this book, especially if they like dance. I didn’t see much here to hold the male audience’s attention, but with an edit and a fleshing out of the characters, this could snag anyone by the heart and not let go.

Beach Ballet Stories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I am not a fan of books about dance. I would have dared to pick it up if the book had a solid plot and well-developed characters. However, lack of both deters me from picking up this book. Thanks for the review!
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

It seems like a book young girls may enjoy since many girls live to dance. Maybe they would be able to relate to Lucy more because she is not perfect and sometimes gets picked on. Thanks for your review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like this one just needed a bit more of the story. I, like you, would want a bit more about the rehearsals and performances. It's too bad they are glossed over. I think I'll pass on this one, but the premise is right up my alley. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

I honestly will not enjoy this one. I am not into dance books and so, will have to skip this one. Nice review.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I used to love ballet books when I was a young girl! Ordinarily, I would have enjoyed a trip back in time and would have given this one a try, if it weren't for the issues with punctuation and the thin storyline. What a pity. I will not be reading it, but as you say, there'll be young girls out there who will love it. Thank you.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This really sounds like a good book for young girls and for those that will be interested in dancing ballet. I don't think I'll like this one tho. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I looked at the sample of this and saw quite a few errors right away. That is so cumbersome and disappointing. I don't feel like I missed much of an opportunity with this book given your 2-star rating. I thought a book about young dancers would be a nice story of friendship and growth. This seems a bit too lacking for me to truly enjoy it.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

The last time i enjoyed something on performing arts apart from real life situation was in a movie. I have never read anything on dance, but i am willing to give this a try. I live performing arts, that's i am willing to read it. Thanks for the review.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I think any child who likes ballet might love this book.It's a shame you don't get to know the characters very well. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:

Return to “Children's Books”