Official Review: Where Elves Come From

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: Where Elves Come From

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Where Elves Come From" by Santa, Edit Engel, Alan McBrearty.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Where Elves Come From by Santa, Edith Engel, and Alan McBrearty is a children’s book that teaches young readers about moral values. It is a great book for parents or grandparents to read to their children during bedtime.

While Suzy is playing in a park, she notices a girl sitting all alone so she decides to introduce herself. She finds out that the other girl’s name is Anna and the two become fast friends while their parents, who were both single at the beginning of the book, marry each other. As the days past, Anna and Suzy get closer and closer to each other, but one day the family finds out terrible news. Anna has cancer that is incurable. At first, Suzy is devastated, but Anna cheers her up by telling her of a dream that she had of an Angel that told her that she will become one of Santa’s little helpers, an Elf, when she passes away. Suzy has doubts about it, but with Christmas just around the corner, Suzy is eager to see if Anna will prove that she is an Elf. Will Suzy receive her special Christmas gift that only Anna knows to get her, or will she find out on Christmas that Anna lied to her?

The book is broken down into 16 chapters and is narrated by Santa Claus. At the end of every chapter, Santa Claus discusses the main lessons that children can take away from the book. Some lessons include always telling the truth and not being afraid of the unknown. Also, after each summary, there are questions that pertain to the lessons and illustrations of a significant event that happened during each chapter.

Although it was an easy read, I teared up a few times due to some emotional scenes. While sensitive topics, like death and cancer, are included in the book, I think parents can use this opportunity to talk to their kids about it, especially with the help of the questions that are provided at the end of each chapter. This book also explores family relationships and the challenges that can strain those relationships.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was simple to read and provided a lesson that will greatly benefit young readers. Moreover, there were no grammatical errors or spelling mistakes. I would recommend this book to parents or grandparents who read to their children before bedtime.

Where Elves Come From
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not sure how I feel about possibly teaching someone that they might become Santa's elf after dying. I love that Santa teaches the lessons. But, these are certainly sensitive topics that need to be handled carefully. I'll think on this one. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This children's book helps parents to teach their children sensitive topics like cancer and death, love and to be courageous. Thank you for the review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Tessa-hadassah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tessa-hadassah »

Telling children about sensitive topics like death and incurable diseases are quite a task. It's a lovely book.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Without bringing up too much controversy about an afterlife and what's more, the whole existence of Santa and elves, I am looking at this book at face value and seeing all the little gems of wisdom and learning that it can plant in a young child's mind. As they grow up, the storyline and characters will fade, but the principles will remain if taught properly, and that's what is important. It sounds like a lovely little book and just in time for the festive season. Nice review.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

A story narrated by Santa Claus and introduces children to the world's harsh realities. Sounds like a book that could benefit a lot of people.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

This book sounds amazing. Based on your review it sounds like the author did a great job of tacking a very delicate subject, and it sounds like they did it in such a way that children will still be able to enjoy the book. I will definitely add this one to my reading list. Thanks for the review.
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

I know others may find the topic of becoming an elf in the afterlife unsettling and it is a controversial. However, I feel that it is a sweet thought that one child would have for another in this case. The innocence of the idea is so heartwarming. Thank you for the review.
blmacj
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blmacj.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by blmacj »

I may not agree with the idea that a child will become an elf when they slip from this world; however, I do certainly like the premise that this book teaches many tough subjects and is a tool for parents or grandparents to instill a sense of moral values in children. While I would prefer a faith based book; This one fits the bill for those who do not ascribe to a particular faith. It is our children who need to be taugh moral and ethical values which will carry this world into the future without destroying each other and this book seems to have that idea in mind. Thanks for the review.
KarinaBordas
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karinabordas.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KarinaBordas »

What a unique way to approach, friendship, love, death, and faith! This seems like a fun Christmas season book to add to the collection!
Lexinerd2016

Post by Lexinerd2016 »

Where Elves Come From by Santa, Edith Engel, and Alan McBrearty.

The books has good messages! Some are great while others would probably make the kids ask their parents some questions. Parents need to read the book first to see if its okay with their kid pther than that I'd say its a good good.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

It sounded like there are some great lessons to be learned, but I am concerned about some of the inadvertent ones that get passed along with the setting and premise of the book. I like the thought, but I think it may add extra confusion to already difficult topics.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I have to applaud the author (or authors) on coming up with a creative storyline. Not sure if I particularly care for the plot, but hopefully, there will be someone who can enjoy it. Thanks for your review.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

Children too have the right to know about life challenges and other challenges such as cancer. And this book would give them that opportunity. Thanks for the review.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

Children too have the right to know about life challenges and other challenges such as cancer. And this book would give them that opportunity. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Children's Books”