Official Review: A Keepsake for my Twin and Me

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: A Keepsake for my Twin and Me

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Keepsake for my Twin and Me" by Felicia Jackson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What's it like to have a brother or sister who looks just like you? Do all twins look exactly the same as each other? How are twins different from one another? A Keepsake for My Twin and Me is a children's picture book by Felicia Jackson that teaches young readers about the special bond between twin siblings. With colorful cartoon-like illustrations and easy to understand text, the author explains the difference between identical and fraternal twins. She also shares examples of the different pairs of twins such as two girls, two boys, or a boy and girl. The book teaches universal themes including love, family, siblings, identity, kindness, and humor.

The author skillfully uses illustrations and humor as effective teaching tools to demonstrate the importance of individuality, even between identical twins. As young children often have the misconception that all twins look identical, I appreciate the book's emphasis on the contrasts between twins as well as the similarities. Examples of twins who have different interests and some of the differences in fraternal twins' physical appearances are also shared. Overall, the book conveys strong themes of love and kindness between siblings, as well as a sense of identity for each twin.

The only thing I disliked about this enjoyable picture book was the font style which I found distracting and somewhat difficult to read. I was unable to locate the exact font, but it was very similar to one called "Covered by Your Grace" except the font in the book was much lighter in comparison. I have seen other whimsical childlike fonts that were easier to read and more appropriate for book text. By changing the font, it would improve the book's visual quality and therefore, the reader's enjoyment.

Additionally, the punctuation was inconsistent. Some pages were correct, while others were missing punctuation. For a short book that's twenty-seven pages, the errors were really noticeable. As it's especially important that young readers see examples of correct grammar and punctuation modeled, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. With the needed corrections, this book could easily earn the full four-star rating.

While this lovely children's book is especially relevant to families with twins, I would also recommend it to a wider audience of readers due to its strong themes of love and kindness between siblings. Parents and grandparents will enjoy reading it to preschool children, while beginner readers may read it on their own. Additionally, it would make a special gift for parents expecting twins.

A Keepsake for my Twin and Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

This looks like a really sweet book on a topic that's not often seen in children's books. Thanks for the review - I'd definitely recommend it to my younger cousins :)
sarbearah
Currently Reading: Year One
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarbearah.html
Latest Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sarbearah »

This seems like a really cute book! I am a twin myself - I wish I had had a book like this when I was younger. There's not a lot of representation for twins in children's books these days ;) Thanks for the review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." - George R. R. Martin
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 20:54 This looks like a really sweet book on a topic that's not often seen in children's books. Thanks for the review - I'd definitely recommend it to my younger cousins :)
I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sarbearah wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 21:49 This seems like a really cute book! I am a twin myself - I wish I had had a book like this when I was younger. There's not a lot of representation for twins in children's books these days ;) Thanks for the review!
My best friend is also a twin. Thanks for your comment.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I feel like the font in this category is very important. I wish the author had thought that out. Having said that, it seems like a good book. I loved your review. Thank you for this!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

420waystoreachthesun wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 23:37 I feel like the font in this category is very important. I wish the author had thought that out. Having said that, it seems like a good book. I loved your review. Thank you for this!
My thought, exactly. I appreciate your comment.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I agree that grammar is very important in a book for children. Still, I love that it discusses twins. I had a pair in my elementary school. A book like this would have been good for me. I'm a bit old for this book, but it sounds good for the age. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 18:49 I agree that grammar is very important in a book for children. Still, I love that it discusses twins. I had a pair in my elementary school. A book like this would have been good for me. I'm a bit old for this book, but it sounds good for the age. Thanks.
Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.
KarinaBordas
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karinabordas.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KarinaBordas »

What a sweet concept for a book! I appreciate that the author took the time to explain different aspects of being a twin in a way that children can understand. It’s unfortunate that it has inconsistencies. Hopefully it will be edited and rereleased soon!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Neat book. I think my twins would like it once they get a little older. Adorable cover. Thank you for the review!
:techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Children's Books”