Official Review: The Miraculous Destiny of Edward Cooper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: The Miraculous Destiny of Edward Cooper

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Miraculous Destiny of Edward Cooper" by Chris McTrustry.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Miraculous Destiny of Edward Cooper by Chris McTrustry is set in Purley, England, in the year 1346. It is an exciting and humorous tale of a young boy who leaves home to begin training for his destiny, as a Monk at the Otford Abbey.

The night before Edward sets out, a mysterious stranger appears in the moonlit yard. He reveals himself to be a wizard named Dragonheath. He is there to deliver a message to Edward's father, William.

His son, being the seventh son of a seventh son, is destined to become an extraordinary, powerful wizard in his thirteenth summer.

The wizard glances up to see Edward at the window, as William argues with Dragonheath that his son, Marlin, is too simpleminded for such a destiny.

Once again turning his gaze upon Edward, he tells William that he will return for his seventh son "when the magic within him begins to ripen."

"The Choice has been made." With a flash of lightning, Dragonheath disappears.

The next day, Edward leaves home, marveling at how fate chose two sons of a small town barrel-maker to have such different destinies. One son to be a monk, the other to be a wizard. Looking forward to his quiet future, he wasn't prepared for the excitement waiting just up the road.

I truly enjoyed following Edward as he traveled to meet his destiny. Along the way he learned about loyalty, as well as betrayal. He found strength within himself that he never realized was there.

I found it interesting that Edward and his brother, Marlin, were so young. The story related that Marlin was three years away from becoming thirteen, making him ten. Edward was two years from thirteen, making him eleven. Was it really common in 1346 for boys to decide their life destiny at such a young age? Did they actually leave home at ten to begin living life as a young adult?

The characters were colorful, and had well rounded personalities. It was easy to imagine them as real people. The personalities were so well established, that I was taken by surprise when one of them did a complete turnaround, and turned out to be the opposite of what I thought he was. There was a different character that I was very suspicious of right from the start, who also surprised me by turning out to be one of his most loyal supporters.

The magical battles were described in such detail, without being gross, that I caught my breath a couple of times. The author did a nice job of changing the pace of the narrative to suit the scene. The chase scenes, and battle scenes, had me reading quickly. Then suddenly, the scenario would change to a slower pace. I would release the breath that I didn't realize I was holding, and my reading speed would slow down as well.

As much as I enjoyed the story, I will have to give the book a 3 out of 4 star rating. There were multiple missing and misplaced commas, missing words, doubled words, and a couple of paragraphs that were duplicated. In addition, the paragraph indentation was very inconsistent. The beginning of the book started out with uniform indentations, but by the fourth chapter, the indentation length was so varied, as well as non-existent in some places, that it became a slight distraction.

I believe that once a round of editing is done, this could easily be a four star book. I recommend this book to adults, and young teen readers alike, who enjoy coming-of-age tales filled with learning about loyalty, forgiveness, finding inner strength, adventure, and magic, lots and lots of magic. It was a fun read.

The Miraculous Destiny of Edward Cooper
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Tiny_Turtle's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Books involving magic don't interest me. I've never even been tempted to read Harry Potter. I enjoyed your review and am glad you enjoyed the book other than the problems with grammar. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy

Post by melissy370 »

The cover is so unassuming that I would have never guessed that such an entertaining story was inside. It is a shame on the errors, but this sounds like a fun read. Thank you for your detailed review.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This story sounds like it has it all. Including the errors. I hope the author heeds your advice and sends it through another round of editing.
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

AmySmiles wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 12:55 Books involving magic don't interest me. I've never even been tempted to read Harry Potter. I enjoyed your review and am glad you enjoyed the book other than the problems with grammar. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting. For me, I find it fascinating when an author can do a good job of creating a scenario where magic is feasible. It opens up the realm of possibility. There are so many things in our daily lives that we take for granted that our ancestors would have called magic. Video chatting is one.

I truly did enjoy the story. I'm looking forward to reading the next one.
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

melissy370 wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 15:45 The cover is so unassuming that I would have never guessed that such an entertaining story was inside. It is a shame on the errors, but this sounds like a fun read. Thank you for your detailed review.
It really was a fun read. It would be nice if they revamped the cover along with a round of editing. It would probably draw a larger group of readers if the cover was more colorful and reflected the storyline better.
Thank you for stopping by and commenting. 💕
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Bianka Walter wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 01:50 This story sounds like it has it all. Including the errors. I hope the author heeds your advice and sends it through another round of editing.
Great review!
Thanks. I appreciate your comments. 💕
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

Thanks for the review. The reediting should be at high priority.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

topdan30 wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 10:33 Thanks for the review. The reediting should be at high priority.
I agree, yet even so it was a fun read. Thank you for stopping by and commenting.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Back in "ye old days" kids got married and had their own children before 15, so why not 13 to determine you will be a monk or a wizard? Must start training early :D

Although I like teen fiction, this one sounds a little too "young teen" for me. Nice review. I love the "seventh son of the seventh son" stuff.
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

kfwilson6 wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 13:37 Back in "ye old days" kids got married and had their own children before 15, so why not 13 to determine you will be a monk or a wizard? Must start training early :D

Although I like teen fiction, this one sounds a little too "young teen" for me. Nice review. I love the "seventh son of the seventh son" stuff.
That is true. Children grew up a lot faster back-in-the-day.

The seventh son of the seventh son was kinda cool. 😎
Bigmama76
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bigmama76 »

I think it a good book I love magic and ferry tale it remind me of harry potter or Pete the dragon can wait for the book
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Bigmama76 wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 19:29 I think it a good book I love magic and ferry tale it remind me of harry potter or Pete the dragon can wait for the book
If you love magic and fairy tales, then you should enjoy The Miraculous Destiny of Edward Cooper. I hope you check it out.

Thank you for your comments. 💕

Return to “Children's Books”