Official Review: Rolly Olly - Brother and Sister Short St...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Rolly Olly - Brother and Sister Short St...

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rolly Olly - Brother and Sister Short Stories" by Gomathy.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nothing quite compares to the bond between siblings. Despite the attention often placed on the expected rivalry, siblings are often our first friends. Rolly Olly-Brother and Sister Short Stories is a children’s collection featuring roach siblings by authors Gomathy S and Nikki K.

As the older brother, Rolly is patient and often plays with his younger sister, Olly. The two bugs share a love for dancing, eating pizza, and playing blocks. Olly seems to cry a lot, but Rolly is always there to comfort her. Some of the topics included in the collection are school, bedtime, roach games, pulling loose teeth, pajama parties, and celebrating holidays. The stories often conclude with one of the bugs telling the other, "You are the best."

I've had a long-time affection for children's books. Children's literature was my favorite course in college, and I've been smitten ever since. What I liked most about this book was the sweet sibling relationship between Rolly and Olly as the basis for the stories. One of my favorite children's authors, Rosemary Wells, and her lovable brother and sister duo Max and Ruby came to mind. However, in this case, I was disappointed.

There were several factors that detracted from my overall enjoyment of this book. First, the writing style was very elementary, so much so, that I thought perhaps a child wrote the stories. I have previously seen books that children have dictated to their parents, but I wasn't able to find any information to support the theory in this instance. To clarify, I'm not referring to simplicity regarding the story, but rather the way a child describes a series of events when writing. Next, the illustrations were poorly-done and too small. There were captions placed directly on the images, which was in addition to the story's text and didn’t serve any purpose. Also, the entire book was in bold type, which was not only distracting to read but highlighted the many errors.

It's obvious the book wasn't professionally edited, as I noted spelling and punctuation mistakes on the majority of the thirty-one pages. One word was misspelled twenty-two times. Correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling shouldn't be less of a priority for children's books. In fact, the opposite is true. For these type of blatant errors combined with the shoddy illustrations, I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. I honestly wouldn’t recommend it unless these issues are addressed.

Rolly Olly - Brother and Sister Short Stories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review! Too bad about the book. Hopefully the author takes this as constructive criticism.
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

It sounds like a good idea for a book - I love Max and Ruby and I'm sure other books of the same style would be adorable. Too bad about the formatting and problems with the book though.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

The title of the book drew my attention immediately. But then I was disappointed. The oversimplified language and the numerous editorial issues deter me from reading it. I appreciate your transparent and eloquent review. Thanks, Cecilia.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

What a cute idea for a child's book. But as I've said before grammatical errors should never appear in books for children. It just shouldn't be. How do we expect our children to grow up with proper English skills if we can't even provide them error free books? Thanks for the honest review. I hope they do a revision and take your suggestions into consideration.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Jaime Lync wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 12:02 Great review! Too bad about the book. Hopefully the author takes this as constructive criticism.
Thank you Jaime. I hope so, too.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

StarkidStarling wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 12:07 It sounds like a good idea for a book - I love Max and Ruby and I'm sure other books of the same style would be adorable. Too bad about the formatting and problems with the book though.
I agree. Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 12:19 The title of the book drew my attention immediately. But then I was disappointed. The oversimplified language and the numerous editorial issues deter me from reading it. I appreciate your transparent and eloquent review. Thanks, Cecilia.
As always Ruba, I appreciate your kind words. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

AmySmiles wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 12:42 What a cute idea for a child's book. But as I've said before grammatical errors should never appear in books for children. It just shouldn't be. How do we expect our children to grow up with proper English skills if we can't even provide them error free books? Thanks for the honest review. I hope they do a revision and take your suggestions into consideration.
My thoughts exactly, Amy. Thanks for your comment.
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

Such a shame. This sounds like a great concept and something that kids would enjoy. I agree that children's books deserve greater attention when it comes to spelling and grammar. Thank you for your thorough review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

liftedbooks wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 14:23 Such a shame. This sounds like a great concept and something that kids would enjoy. I agree that children's books deserve greater attention when it comes to spelling and grammar. Thank you for your thorough review.
You're welcome. Thanks for dropping by and for your comment.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Even the cover of this book is a downer. This seems like a chore.
Well done on a wonderful review.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bianka Walter wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 15:41 Even the cover of this book is a downer. This seems like a chore.
Well done on a wonderful review.
Thank you, Bianka.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I think my grammar OCD jumped up when I read that ONE word was not spelled twenty-two times correctly! Yikes! Like you, I would have counted it too. It's too bad that this didn't have more attention paid to it while formatting it. It sounds like a unique storyline that kids would enjoy. I guess it's back to the drawing board for the author, and maybe, it will be better. I love children's books too!
Everything happens for a reason...
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Right?! I counted more than once because I couldn't believe it either. :o Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Children's Books”