Official Review: The Adventures of Oscar and the Lounge L...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: The Adventures of Oscar and the Lounge L...

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventures of Oscar and the Lounge Lizard" by Julia Mary Clark.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The old rocking chair had always been there, but today, a large lizard was seated in the chair. Oscar almost choked on his biscuit. This just could not be real. Author Julia Clark takes her readers on a magical adventure in The Adventures of Oscar and the Lounge Lizard.

Oscar is an ordinary eight-year-old-boy. However, he is dealing with the loss of his beloved grandfather, Grumps, and his parents’ divorce. He loves to play in the garden, and one day he meets a large talking lizard. Larry the lizard helps Oscar to cope with his hardships and takes him on magical adventures. Larry’s home planet, Tarastaria, is also home to trolls, monkeys, and gonks. These interesting creatures are ruled by the tyrannical Emperor Bumface. Oscar’s unlikely friendships with these extraordinary creatures do more than distract him from his troubles on Earth. As Oscar enjoys his time on the magical planet, he unknowingly inspires the citizens of Tarastaria to work together to make a positive change.

This story is fun and entertaining with interesting, relatable characters. Many children struggle with the loss of loved ones. Divorce is, likewise, a difficult journey for many families today. This is a story that addresses these issues in a gentle and, in many ways, fun manner. Children ages nine to twelve would enjoy reading this book. Children ages five to eight would enjoy listening to an adult as they read this story to them. This suspenseful fable will keep young readers’ attention through to the end. This book creates a fun way to teach children about teamwork, kindness, and the importance of family.

The author’s clever use of context clues is sure to enrich her young readers’ vocabulary. This book is skillfully written, organized, and edited. There is not one grammar error to be found. The story comfortably flows from one scene to the next making it pleasant to read, and it is sure to inspire young imaginations.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is a well-written and well-organized book. The themes and lessons of determination and the importance of family are clear and presented in an understandable way. Reading The Adventures of Oscar and the Lounge Lizard to or with children will help parents and teachers start conversations about many difficult issues that children cope with today. Furthermore, this is a fun, entertaining, and magical story that the entire family can enjoy together.

The Adventures of Oscar and the Lounge Lizard
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
KarinaBordas
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karinabordas.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KarinaBordas »

It seems as if Julia Mary Clark has published a must read book for children! Per the review, this book appears to be full of suspense and life lessons - lessons that those with various backgrounds and experiences can relate. I look forward to delving into the pages to see how she addresses the sensitive issues of divorce and loss, as well as the impression this has on the lizards home planet, in The Adventures of Oscar and the Lounge Lizard.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

The name of the tyrannical Emperor, Emperor Bumface, tells me a lot about this book. The cover is fantastic, and the content also sounds delightful, as well as insightful. It can be a challenge to combine fun with life lessons without coming across as preachy.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

This sounds like a wonderful children's book. I love the cover of it as well. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I love your description of this book--what a sweet way to deal with the painful issues of death and divorce. Thanks for the recommendation!
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I think that a bad guy by the name of Emperor Bumface might just be the thing to get my 8 year nephew interested. Thanks for the review!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

First, I love the character names here. They are so clever and creative. Secondly, I love when authors are able to help readers learn new words without having to pull out the dictionary every time. It really sounds as if this book is very well done for a children's story. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

At the beginning of your review, I was thinking, 'what sort of novel/book is this,' using the character of a lizard. I became thrilled when I discovered that it's for children of a more mature age. This I must say is exquisite!!!

Thanks for this review!!!
Nick123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nick123 »

I recently bought this book for my nine year old nephew and he absolutely loved it. I read through a lot of it with him and it really is an excellent children's book. Very funny, highly original and genuinely quite moving in parts. It also deals with some fairly adult themes, as you mention in the review, but does so in a very delicate and subtle way, without distracting from the story. Cannot recommend highly enough!
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

Lovely review. I believe this book will certainly help children going through rough patches, especially in this time when divorce seem to be so rampant.
Jesse T
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jesse T »

It was great reading this book to my step-daughter (8), we both really enjoyed it. It’s very funny, and Oscar and his friends have a rip-roaring adventure! Highly recommended.
Kevin David Choka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Kevin David Choka »

My young sister loves that book so much she loves to read it every day
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

The cover itself is so attractive. The children are gonna love this book which is full of adventures. Nice review.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

What a smart way to help children cope with the loss of someone loved in their lives. I love books with great meaning, thank you for your review.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A kids' book revolving around the a magical adventure of a boy and a talking lizard sounds cool. It is good that the book teaches kids about loss and other important themes in a fun way. That it was well written and edited is to the author's credit. It does sound like a magical tale. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Children's Books”