Official Review: WoW! What a Trip! by Susan M. Tarrant

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: WoW! What a Trip! by Susan M. Tarrant

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "WoW! What a Trip!" by Susan M. Tarrant.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is an exciting time for a family when a new baby is on the way. However, it can also be a difficult time for parents if there are other young children in the household. Author Susan M. Tarrant gives these parents a helping hand in WoW! What a Trip!: My Journey to Meet My New Family.

A young child feels many emotions when a new baby is on the way. They can feel excited, curious, confused, and even jealous. Each of these emotions are addressed in this book. The fetus is a friendly narrator with a welcoming sense of humor. The tiny storyteller shares the stages of growth from conception to birth and what to expect as mommy’s body, mood, and appetite continually change.

Young children feel important and included when they understand what is going on around them. This book gently explains each stage of pregnancy and fetal development in an understandable way.

This book closes with suggestions for discussions to have with children concerning the pregnancy. Furthermore, there is a list of items to compare to the current size of the fetus. There are no grammatical errors throughout the text. The story comfortably flows from one scene to the next making it pleasant to read.

Illustrations are a vital part of any children’s book. Susan Lavalley illustrated this book. These illustrations breathe life into the story. Each picture is beautifully colored and very well executed. The pictures help to start conversations, and young children will better understand what is happening inside of their mother’s changing body and feel connected to the little being inside.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This book is beautifully illustrated. The pictures will engage and delight young readers. This is a well-written story with a purpose. The stages of pregnancy and fetal development are clear and presented in an understandable way. Expectant families with children between the ages of one and eight could really benefit from and enjoy reading this book. Honestly, I wish this book had been around for my daughter when I was expecting my son.

The story is fun, entertaining, and educational. Reading WoW! What a Trip! with or to young children will help parents start a conversation with young children about what is happening inside of their mother’s growing body. Also, reading this book will help to make young children feel more involved in the changes happening in their family. After all, big brothers and big sisters have very important jobs.

WoW! What a Trip!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This sounds like a really useful book to give a family awaiting the birth of a second child - or a third one or a fourth one, come to that. I'm a youngest child myself, but I loved the last line of your review.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

This sounds like such a fun book when a baby is on the way. I love that it gets the whole family involved, too. I may have to look for this for my friends having their next kids.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

What a great concept. It's so important to make the older children in a family feel involved as the family grows. I like that this is educational and fun while also helping families bond. This is a wonderful review. I will have to keep this in mind for the future.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Review tells that the book is all about children psychology about a new young member coming in their family. sounds interesting
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

I hope it addresses about prenatal depression as well as postnatal depression. Otherwise it sounds like a very useful book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a great book for parents expecting another child. It's hard to know what to expect. I'm glad the author did such a great job on this one. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

kfwilson6 wrote: 11 May 2018, 12:34 What a great concept. It's so important to make the older children in a family feel involved as the family grows. I like that this is educational and fun while also helping families bond. This is a wonderful review. I will have to keep this in mind for the future.
I agree with kfwilson6; it is always important for all children to feel equally loved as the family grows. Thank you for the insightful review!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Reading a book with a tiny fetus as the narrator sounds unique. It's great that it explains the stages of pregnancy in an understandable way for both kids and adults. This should be something! Thanks for the concise review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like the perfect book for siblings in a family expecting another child.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

I love the way you write! Your in-depth review makes this book even more appealing. Well done.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This sounds so helpful! My two and a half year old grandson is adjusting to his 3 month old baby sister. I watch him go through various emotions as he has realized he is no longer the only focus of attention. This sounds like it would highly help older siblings adjust to a new member. I like the idea of the fetus doing the narration. Sounds very well done!
Everything happens for a reason...
SammiArch
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammiarch.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by SammiArch »

Great review! I have seen many books tailored for future big brothers/sisters regarding the new babies arrival but never one that talks about the actual fetus and pregnancy. The narrator being the baby is also a really interesting twist. I would defiantly recommend this book to expecting parents with small kids.
Sammi Arch
haarun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haarun.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by haarun »

I like the fact that children's emotions are been addressed in the book. It is a reality in our societies that children usually expresses different emotions after the arrival of a new born into their families. The book actually seems to portray exactly the happenings in our societies.
Sharon serena
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-serena.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sharon serena »

I must say that I love the title of this book. The book sounds interesting but sadly it is for the younger once, anyone with a kid would highly benefit from this book as children tend to be very curious about things especially pregnancies. Nice way to keep the conversation going between mothers and children. Great review!

Return to “Children's Books”