Official Review: Frog Hotel by Susan Bryant

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Re: Official Review: Frog Hotel by Susan Bryant

Post by NL Hartje »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 11 May 2018, 12:30 This sounds like a lovely and fun book, but I find myself frustrated with the sense that someone who adopted or fostered the twins must necessarily be rather cruel. It is sadly a common stereotype in literature, but I hate to see it since I am someone who adopted two kids. That quickly puts me in a position where I don’t think I could read this with my kids since that sort of picture tends to harm the trust I work so hard to build with my kids. Maybe I could find a way to align myself with the Frog Hotel itself, but even that has its own issues in helping my kids relate to this story. At any rate, that is not your fault as the reviewer, and I’m sure the author simply needed a reason for these kids to want to run away and stay away. Still, I wish that some other reason could have been found. The joy and whimsy that you describe sound like so much fun. Thank you for your review! It’s great to know a little bit about what is in a book before I tackle it with my kids. :D
You bring up a very underacknowledged point of view. Sadly, I cannot speak to the author's choices but I can commiserate with your situation and feelings. I hope you can find books that are a better fit for your family!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Delilish6 wrote: 11 May 2018, 18:59 Based on the analytical prospective of the book it seems more like a child's nightmare. Although, the primary focus of the story's title portraiture of frogs, the truth has been unfolded by the nature of neglect and child punishment. However, for a psychotherapist who needs a psychology thriller to review for research this book very well maybe ideal. Although, I would consider reading it, in a personal prompt I would prefer another story plot. (Interest review post)
I'm not sure this would be a great inclusion for your study. Only the first chapter really alludes to the negative in life and the rest is mostly small references to "we don't want to go back."
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Miriam Molina wrote: 12 May 2018, 17:51 Frogs? These slimy creatures do not enthrall me, although I admit that Kermit has a huge following, and at least one of them could be a prince!

The author seems to have succeeded with the story though, considering your enthusiastic response. I enjoyed your happy review, NL Hartje!
You know, I'm not exactly sure why the author chose frogs. She doesn't really reference them in any ways aside from the title and the frog who leads them to the hotel? I'm chalking it up to the simplicity of a children's plot?
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Vickie Noel wrote: 14 May 2018, 12:43 I'm already in love with this book, I honestly can't see any reason why it won't be added to my shelf this very minute. The fact that the illustrations were creative and detailed, adding to the overall enjoyment of the book, is a huge incentive for me. Thanks for the awesome review.
Thanks Vickie! I hope you do read it, it was an incredibly fast read and I'd love to hear another opinion!
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Kat Berg wrote: 14 May 2018, 15:17 The cover of this book is delightful, and I am glad that the inside is a match! I love well-written children's books, and I like to pass them on. I will have to check this one out and see if my numerous nieces, nephews, and god-children would appreciate it. Thanks for the review.
Oooh yes, I think this is definitely nieces and nephews worthy :wink:
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

kfwilson6 wrote: 14 May 2018, 16:21 This sounds like such an adorable book. I would like to know the rest of the mandates; they sound quite entertaining.
Cute things like:

-must have at least 9hrs of sleep at night
-must have a rest time during the day
-must spend as much time outdoors as possible
-read whatever books they find in their room
-learn chess on rainy days

etc etc :P
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Dragonfly6 wrote: 16 May 2018, 01:58 I often think artwork can be a detriment with a good book. We are better off using our imaginations to create the pictures.
Yes to this. I couldn't agree more.
-Dr. Seuss
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

gen_g wrote: 14 May 2018, 10:00 This looks like a very interesting read! Thank you for the lovely review.
NL Hartje wrote: 09 May 2018, 20:21
Continually searching to escape their cycle of sadness, they acknowledge a whim one afternoon and decide to follow a loudly croaking frog down an unfamiliar path. As the mysterious amphibian begins to glow and hop faster, Calverd and Doclad chase it through a haze and stumble upon a twinkling hotel in the middle of a meadow.
In fact, this really does sound like Narnia/Alice in Wonderland, and I feel that this book might make great presents for my younger cousins!
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

gen_g wrote: 20 May 2018, 22:47
NL Hartje wrote: 09 May 2018, 20:21
Continually searching to escape their cycle of sadness, they acknowledge a whim one afternoon and decide to follow a loudly croaking frog down an unfamiliar path. As the mysterious amphibian begins to glow and hop faster, Calverd and Doclad chase it through a haze and stumble upon a twinkling hotel in the middle of a meadow.
In fact, this really does sound like Narnia/Alice in Wonderland, and I feel that this book might make great presents for my younger cousins!
You're right, following the frog is very Alice-like! I never made that connection!
-Dr. Seuss
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Awesome review for a seemingly awesome book. I definitely want to read this. Thanks for sharing.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Jaime Lync wrote: 21 May 2018, 00:31 Awesome review for a seemingly awesome book. I definitely want to read this. Thanks for sharing.
I'd love to hear your comments if you end up reading it!
-Dr. Seuss
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

NL Hartje wrote: 20 May 2018, 14:06
kfwilson6 wrote: 14 May 2018, 16:21 This sounds like such an adorable book. I would like to know the rest of the mandates; they sound quite entertaining.
Cute things like:

-must have at least 9hrs of sleep at night
-must have a rest time during the day
-must spend as much time outdoors as possible
-read whatever books they find in their room
-learn chess on rainy days

etc etc :P
Wouldn't I want me some of that? I sure wouldn't mind locating that hotel... As a person though, not a frog :lol:
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

found the review nice and also the story line of book adorable to me as it intrigues the struggle of the boys in search of better life
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

NL Hartje wrote: 20 May 2018, 13:42
Kendra M Parker wrote: 11 May 2018, 12:30 This sounds like a lovely and fun book, but I find myself frustrated with the sense that someone who adopted or fostered the twins must necessarily be rather cruel. It is sadly a common stereotype in literature, but I hate to see it since I am someone who adopted two kids. That quickly puts me in a position where I don’t think I could read this with my kids since that sort of picture tends to harm the trust I work so hard to build with my kids. Maybe I could find a way to align myself with the Frog Hotel itself, but even that has its own issues in helping my kids relate to this story. At any rate, that is not your fault as the reviewer, and I’m sure the author simply needed a reason for these kids to want to run away and stay away. Still, I wish that some other reason could have been found. The joy and whimsy that you describe sound like so much fun. Thank you for your review! It’s great to know a little bit about what is in a book before I tackle it with my kids. :D
You bring up a very underacknowledged point of view. Sadly, I cannot speak to the author's choices but I can commiserate with your situation and feelings. I hope you can find books that are a better fit for your family!
Thank you for those wishes. It turns out that I happened to stumble on one with my latest book. Yay for better representations of adoption!
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 21 May 2018, 06:00
NL Hartje wrote: 20 May 2018, 13:42
Thank you for those wishes. It turns out that I happened to stumble on one with my latest book. Yay for better representations of adoption!
So good to hear! You should share the title. There may be others in your spot!
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Children's Books”