Official Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Re: Official Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Book Lover 35 »

This book sounds very enjoyable. I'm glad this book teaches children some valuable lessons. Thank you for the great review!
Timothy Finesse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Timothy Finesse »

Toni is a great boy despite him being a super hero. He was helpful at home he loves helping his mother out... Children should emulate his character..... Toni is indeed a super hero
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

Well, I would say "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base is perfect for kids. As an adult, I have outgrown comic books, regardless, thanks for this review.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

A superhero that does chores? Now this sounds like a good read for the kids!
I like that this is going to become a series, and I will be interested to see what other things the superhero takes on.

Great review!
Fairyland1010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Fairyland1010 »

I’m going to read this soon. It sounds very interesting and I can’t wait to read it. Thanks for recommendation.
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

Its refreshing to see such a relatable superhero. Even regular everyday activities can be super If we look at them with the right attitude.
Moodley2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Moodley2 »

"Superhero" looks interesting I will recommend it to be good for kids but I will give it thumb up 'coz the tittle explains everything.
Azokamchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azokamchi.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Azokamchi »

This book will be of great benefit to my children and many others. Capturing Toni as an exemplary kid with his daily helpful routines and noting him a superhero is a good one. I like your review. I'm particularly glad and will recommend for many young children. They can learn to read and in addition appreciate that being helpful with house chores is a superhero move.
syed1234
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by syed1234 »

i really enjoyed this book and would recommend to others!
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

Good review. I love the fact that the book emphasizes the fact that superhumans are humans first. Every child dreams of being something great or special. It's important to make kids understand that being a good human being is the greatest thing to achieve. I am definitely going to ask my son to read this one.
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

Most super hero books would always leave you focused on the abilities of the main character but this one surely went above and beyond to include the daily life activities of Toni. This one structure endears me to this book's story line.
do20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-do20.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by do20 »

I like the way the main character engage in the same activities like the kids and makes them feel superheroes too which can boost their confidence. I like your review. Great job.
Siriusly_blank
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siriusly-blank.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Siriusly_blank »

bookowlie wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 11:27 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are so many children’s books on the market these days and the storylines have become very unique. The plots usually include a problem to be solved and a resolution, with a moral or lesson to be learned. This is not the case in Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base, although the story still serves an important purpose: teaching young children to read in a fun way.

Toni is a young superhero, but the book doesn’t focus on his special powers. Instead, the character is busy with regular, everyday chores and activities. Among other pursuits, Toni can be seen reading, dusting the house, helping his mother wash dishes, swimming, and eating. He may be a superhero, but the character also plays with his friends and has certain routines just like any other person. We all eat and sleep, even if some of us possess superhuman powers.

A superhero is a nice choice for the main character of a learn-to-read book as kids love characters with special abilities. In this story, it’s apparent that Toni is a superhero. He is shown wearing a superhero costume, cape, and eye mask. Although the main focus of the story is about Toni participating in “human” activities, he can also be seen flying. Children would easily be able to relate to the mundane tasks the character engages in. I particularly appreciated that the author depicted Toni in the same way as other children, when he is seen playing. For example, when Toni is at the playground or in the pool with other kids, he does the same things as the other kids (translate: no display of his special powers). I think children like to feel as if a superhero is “just like them” and would enjoy seeing the character do the same things they do on a daily basis – household chores, eating a meal, etc.

Each page contains a short sentence of simple words accompanied by a full-length illustration or, in some cases, an illustration stretched across two pages. This format is perfect for children who are just starting to read. It’s not important that there isn’t a traditional plot since the purpose here is to master reading and comprehending the words. Debbie J. Hefke’s appealing artwork clearly shows each activity being performed, which gives kids extra help when deciphering a particular word – for example, swimming.

This book has earned 4 out of 4 stars. It is the first installment in a planned series of books about this young superhero. The author has created a simple yet effective story with a likeable character. Although there is not a traditional plot, the concept of using short sentences with easily recognizable words and pictures is a great method to start young children on the road to reading independently.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
Salute to the review :tiphat: !!!
Writing review on this book must have been a laborious task . The books isn't the one with a clear plot , cakey dialogs or other narrative elements or any defined criteria considering which the book can reviewed . Such book reviews are the most difficult ones. Bookowlie's brilliant review analyses the book precisely and makes it appealing to the readers. It's the type of review that sells the book.

This children's book is really fascinating. Tony , the superkid seems to be an interesting and humble character. The books clearly teaches the young readers to be superb yet kind. The superhero doesn't flaunt his super powers but acts like a normal kid who helps others with or without his superpowers. The author delivers another beautiful message that you don't require any super powers to help others , you can do it while being perfectly normal , all it requires is a generous effort and a humble heart . It proclaims that our intentions define us more clearly than our abilities. I loved the author's insightful writing style that would surely help blooming reader. I think both the book and the review deserve 4/4 rating.
Siriusly_blank
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siriusly-blank.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Siriusly_blank »

Writings review on this book must be a laborious task . The books isn't the one with a clear plot , cakey dialogs or other
narrative elements upon which the book can based. Such book reviews are the most difficult ones.
This children's book is really fascinating. Tony the superkid seems to an interesting and humble character. The books clearly teaches the young readers to be super yet kind. The superhero doesn't flaunt his super powers but acts like a normal kid who helps others with or without his superpowers. The author delivers another beautiful message that you don't require any super powers to help other you can do it while being perfectly normal , all it requires is a generous effort and a humble heart . It proclaims that our intentions define us more clearly thanour abilities. I loved the author's insightful writing style that would surely help blooming reader. I think both the book and the review deserve 4/4 rating.
Echez_
Currently Reading: Totto-chan, the Little Girl at the Window
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echez.html
Latest Review: The Blue Sea Monster by Norma Fleagane, James Fleagane, Blake James Ward

Post by Echez_ »

You don't even need to write much. Obviously, the book title is already enough to engage kids. I also believe this book encourage children to be willing to help out in house chores.

Return to “Children's Books”