Official Review: They're Waiting For Me by Ernie Harker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Official Review: They're Waiting For Me by Ernie Harker

Post by melissy370 »

Love the cover of the book and am glad to hear the rest if the illustrations inside are just as nice. Monster chores will certainly be entertaining for the little ones.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

The target audience for this book intrigues me. It's possible that it's because I didn't give my children many chores at a young age, but I feel a disconnect when trying to imagine a child reading it. I wouldn't think most 2-5 year olds have a ton of chores beyond "pick up your toys," and a 8-10 year old wouldn't read a rhyming picture book (at least my eight year old wouldn't). I'm in no way commenting on your suggested audience, I'm sure you hit that spot on, I'm just musing :eusa-think:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I think this might just be my autobiography...as I sip my coffee in front of my computer avoiding my Saturday morning chores. Alas, those chickens and goats aren't going to feed themselves...

Nice review...sounds like a cute book.
Eiusufova
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eiusufova »

I definitely recommend to read it!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the feedback! CommMayo - after reading this book, I felt guilty and washed the kitchen floor. :) NL Hartje, I agree that kids under the age 5 are not given chores. Still, rhyming books usually appeal to young children and the story sets a good example that they might follow when they are a little older.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

I love the idea for this book! It is clever and enticing, and will give kids something to visualize when faced with their own chores. Thank you for a solid review!
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This book sounds so unique and fun! I love silliness to motivate children to do chores or home work. The storyline is so relatable. I think we all, even as adults, don’t want to spend our “free time” consumed by chores! The colors and the illustration on the cover are so inviting! I think I know a few kids (and adults) who would love this book. Your review is a great asset to the book as well. Nicely done with great advice for improvement.
Everything happens for a reason...
Jonte_fonsi
Favorite Book: A Good Boy
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonte-fonsi.html
Latest Review: A Good Boy by Anthony Andre

Post by Jonte_fonsi »

That the writing has a natural flow with no awkward phrasing employed in order to fit into the rhyme scheme is a pleasant observation for a prospective reader to make.
Wonderful review for a seemingly nice read
Huda83
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huda83.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by Huda83 »

A book dealing with a girl who didn't enjoy doing chores around the house. I think any Mom with young girls would willingly buy this book.
Agnes Tuitalele
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Agnes Tuitalele »

I love this review.
And it's true as kids growing up most of us don't like doing chores.
When we are asked to do a chore we drag and come up with all sorts of excuses before we get whatever it is that needs getting done.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for the nice feedback! It's great when a book can be fun and also reinforce good values for children.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Is there a new trend in not naming characters in children's books? I encountered the same issue in the last book I reviewed. There was the title character but then the town, mayor, and young girl (who was central to the story) were not named. I thought this would be a negative aspect to discussing the story after reading it. When a parent reads this with his child or has the child read it and asks about it, it's really awkward to keep saying "the girl." It also seems to take away a little bit of personalization. I'm not a fan of the lack of names (clearly).

I really like the concept of this book and the illustrations sound unique and fun. Awesome review! I want to read this book :)
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

That's the first I've heard of the main character having no name. It does seem impersonal and separates the reader from connecting with the character. Sometimes the author forgets or uses words inadvertently that don't fit the audience they're trying to reach. Overall, you gave the book a good rating and a good review.
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

kfwilson6 wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 14:18 Is there a new trend in not naming characters in children's books? I encountered the same issue in the last book I reviewed. There was the title character but then the town, mayor, and young girl (who was central to the story) were not named. I thought this would be a negative aspect to discussing the story after reading it. When a parent reads this with his child or has the child read it and asks about it, it's really awkward to keep saying "the girl." It also seems to take away a little bit of personalization. I'm not a fan of the lack of names (clearly).

I really like the concept of this book and the illustrations sound unique and fun. Awesome review! I want to read this book :)
Thanks for taking the time to read my review and post a comment! I don't know if it's a trend, but I agree it's makes the character seem less personalized. I think kids relate to named characters.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Jamasenu wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 23:46 That's the first I've heard of the main character having no name. It does seem impersonal and separates the reader from connecting with the character. Sometimes the author forgets or uses words inadvertently that don't fit the audience they're trying to reach. Overall, you gave the book a good rating and a good review.
Thanks Jamasenu! I think the character having no name was a little odd. In fact, I wasn't even sure at first she was a girl, since her sleep clothes could have been worn by either gender.

Return to “Children's Books”