Official Review: Pukey Poetry by Dorianne Allister Winkler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Pukey Poetry by Dorianne Allister Winkler

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pukey Poetry" by Dorianne Allister Winkler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From hovering hippos to green-eating dinosaurs, join Mz Millipede in the book, Pukey Poetry, as she takes you on a journey of her tale ticklers. The poems will excite you, amaze you and tickle you. In some of them you will see Mz Millipede, in others, she will be hiding and you will just have to look for her. Still, she will always be there to guide you through her remarkable adventures. Mz Millipede is not like any other ordinary millipede. She can change her height at will and even alter her color frequently! Most importantly, she is friendly and pleasant and her house is full of warmth.

Written and illustrated by Dorianne Allister Winkler, Pukey Poetry is delightful, enrapturing and filled with fun adventures. The bubbling enchantment contained in the book is intensified by beautiful illustrations that present the characters and the background of each poem in an alluring manner. Every page contains new and thrilling adventures that made me smile, laugh and want to join in the fun. The highlight for me as I read Pukey Poetry was when Mz Millipede finds a walrus eating her waffles known as a Wafflerus! She changes her breakfast only to find another uninvited guest. Another great poem was A Secret Feast. An army of bugs marches into a home covering everything, the chairs, cabinets and counters, including the kitchen floor, all because of one mistake.

Every poem in the book, Pukey Poetry is undoubtedly creative. Dorianne Allister Winkler designs interesting characters who largely add to the humor in each story. The characters are not your ordinary pets. They range from dinosaurs to pandas and ostriches. As I turned every page, I could not wait to see what awaited me in my next adventure with Mz Millipede. The twists and turns were certainly mind-blowing.

Not only was Dorianne Allister Winkler able to create funny characters, she was able to design poems full of rhythm. The lines in the poems contained rhyming words which will definitely help any young reader master and pronounce the words in the poems. Many of the words will add to the reader’s vocabulary and they will also build up their imagination and also enhance their ability to comprehend the stories.

Pukey Poetry is well-written and edited too. The illustrations are professionally and artistically done. The only flaw I found with the book was that the author uses some colloquial words and expressions. In many cases, though, it may have been helpful to add to the rhythm of the poem. All things considered, I rate Pukey Poetry 4 out of 4 stars. The book was thrilling, captivating and the characters were charming.

Pukey Poetry
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I think the rhythmic touch will attract the childs mind, with colourful illustration and the captivating plot it's a sure deal that the kid will like this book. Ms. Millipede and her adventure will surely be loved by children. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

This sounds like a fun and entertaining book for kids. Considering that it is still March, it could be read in conjunction with Dr. Seuss's books since his work tends to be rhyming and rhythm based.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

This book sounds fantastic for getting children geared toward a love and appreciation of poetry. It appeals to the young reader's interests and undoubtedly holds their attention. Creative themes and playful illustrations sound like a fun and engaging story the whole family can enjoy together.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This sounds like a wonderful book to get young readers interested in poetry! Kids will love the quirky and fun characters and, of course, the humor. Who wouldn't want to read about a waffle-eating walrus? The author seems to do a clever job of alliteration, too. I will keep this in mind to recommend to my friends with young readers. Thanks for the great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

Return to “Children's Books”