Official Review: Agama said yes! by Nkoli C Rowley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Agama said yes! by Nkoli C Rowley

Post by Christina Rose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Agama said yes!" by Nkoli C Rowley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the illustrated children's book, Agama Said Yes!, author Nkoli C. Rowley introduces us to a friendly tortoise who has taken it upon himself to collect food for his hungry, but scared, friends during the season of Harmattan. Harmattan is a season during which the dry and dusty wind blowing over Africa could quite possibly blow you away if you were to venture outside. Kept safe by his strong shell, Tortoise collects plenty of food for all. However, this causes the sack he is carrying to become quite heavy. When he happens upon the lizard, Agama, on his way back to the farm, Tortoise asks the lizard if he would please lighten the load by helping to distribute some of the food to the other animals.

Not being as accommodating as the kind tortoise, Agama finds reason after reason to deny each request for assistance. Finally, the lizard agrees to help on the condition that he first be allowed to have anything he wants from the sack of food. Tortoise grants his request, and that is when we find out exactly why Agama's head and neck are now bright red, and why he is constantly nodding, rather than saying no, as he so often did before.

The author was inspired to write this traditional African tale by her own childhood memories of such wonderful stories. She had already been sharing these stories with her own children, when she decided to pass them along to others, as well. I, for one, am glad she did. I found Agama Said Yes! to be an enjoyable and humorous little tale.

The illustrations are done quite well, and are relevant to the story. The language and wording used is appropriate for children of all ages. Older children can read this book with ease, and younger children can be read aloud to by caregivers or older siblings. One of the things I enjoy most in this book is the inclusion within the illustrations of the fun little sound words for each one of the animals that live on the farm. These words can be playfully repeated or read by children, and would be especially helpful to those still learning which animal makes what sound.

I definitely recommend this fable-like story for family or classroom reading time. I will be sharing this book with my own children, and gladly rate it 4 out of 4 stars! I found no errors while reading, so this book does seem professionally edited, which I find particularly important in a book for budding readers and spellers. Caregivers should find it easy enough to turn story-time with Agama Said Yes! into a time to discuss some important life lessons. The tortoise is a great example to use in a discussion of kindness and friendship, while the lizard provides a gateway to discussions of the consequences of selfish behavior. So, grab your copy today, and enjoy some circle time or snuggle time with the child or children in your life!

Agama said yes!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Christina Rose's review? Post a comment saying so!
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

I have always loved fables...its usually a fluid, accessible way of teaching young children moral concepts of life.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

It's really great to see a story inspired by a folk tale. This no only will help children to travel back in time but it will also help to enlighten them about the old ages and life at old times. Thank you for sharing this delightful book!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

prettysmart wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 15:45 I have always loved fables...its usually a fluid, accessible way of teaching young children moral concepts of life.
I agree. While stories written purely for entertainment value are fun to read, fables really do open doors for important, and sometimes difficult, conversations. Thank you.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 21:35 It's really great to see a story inspired by a folk tale. This no only will help children to travel back in time but it will also help to enlighten them about the old ages and life at old times. Thank you for sharing this delightful book!
Folk tales, legends, and such are some of my favorite stories. I agree that it is nice to see a story inspired by one. It keeps us from completely losing these traditional oral stories. Thank you.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

In a constantly modernising world where prevailing customs and traditions could get challenged and even risk being forgotten along the way, it's good that lesson-filled folklore like this piece's African tale had been able to withstand time and change. Thank you for highlighting it's noteworthy aspects in your well-written review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Children's Books”