Reading levels and appropriate books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Reading levels and appropriate books

Post by Clinical1 »

I am an avid reader, and as a child a tween, so was my daughter. Through high school and college, text books replaced pleasure reading.
Her friends are of the age where their children are beginning to read. The oldest, am 8-year old girl, is reading below her class level at school. In trying to find proper books to share with her, I discovered the Scholastic Guided Reading Level. It is printed on books published by Scholastic.
It is published at www.scholastic.com and can be an excellent resource when used with the teachers recommendations.
Joeysmom[1201]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Joeysmom[1201] »

I too was an am an avid reader as is my daughter. My grandson is in third grade, reading above grade level. His school uses Accelerated Reader (AR). An excellent resource. I am kept busy finding books on his AR level that interest him. Mostly Minecraft these days. We read together every night. I know way too much about Minecraft for a Gramma! Lol
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I'm also an avid reader and was using the Accelerated Reader program as well. Currently, I don't have any children of my own, but I keep an eye on the books that students pick since I have worked in the local district in the Elementary and High school libraries. My biggest hope is to one day become a librarian through a Masters program, so it is nice to see the involvement of families in their children's reading. Things that might help your children with improving their reading is to take time and have them retell you what they have read. It is a great Reading Strategy that should help a lot. Plus, that was one of the strategies that I learned to implement when I was in my classes for college.
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key

Return to “Children's Books”