Official Review: The Year Heavy Hail Halted Christmas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Official Review: The Year Heavy Hail Halted Christmas

Post by Amagine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Year Heavy Hail Halted Christmas" by HaleyBelinda.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would it be like for all the children in the world if Christmas was canceled for the year? What about if there was no reindeer landing on their rooftops? What if there was no Santa to eat the cookies and drink the milk they left out? What if children woke up the morning of December 25th to an empty tree with no presents underneath it? A canceled Christmas almost becomes a reality for Abby and Ellie in Haley Belinda’s The Year Heavy Hail Halted Christmas, when a heavy hail storm hits the world. It seems like even Santa Claus doesn’t like riding in bad weather.

In the book, readers are introduced to seven-year-olds, Abby and Ellie. The girls are excited about getting all the presents on their list and the chance to go to the North Pole and meet Santa Claus in person. Their visit is cut short when a big hail storm brews outside and Santa and the elves must prepare for it. As the storm worsens, the girls and everyone in the world began to wonder if there would still be a Christmas on the 25th. It is up to Santa and his helpful elves to figure out a way to get through the hail so that Christmas can arrive right on time.

One of the biggest positives that I can mention about the book was the illustrations. The art was wonderfully drawn, colorful and gave the perfect visual of a beautiful snowy day. I was especially drawn to the cover of the book as it provided a bit of humor for me with the image of a distraught Santa. I liked the concept of the book, about a storm that could possibly prevent Christmas from happening. It provided a realistic situation that children can imagine happening in their own lives. Even though these are all things I liked about the book, there are also some negatives.

In children’s books, I believe in a simple golden rule; let children be the heroes. Young readers enjoy reading books about kids their age who does something heroic or who solves some kind of problem. In their lives, they are used to adults being the heroes, so it’s a bit of a “wow” factor for them when they read about a kid who’s a hero too. In the book, there was clearly a problem that needed to be solved, and Christmas needed to be saved. Unfortunately, the hero was the most likely of people, Santa, and I was disappointed with that.

Abby and Ellie didn’t have much of an impact on the story at all. They were made out to be the main characters in the beginning, but they didn’t solve any conflicts. They barely had any role besides the fact that they were two little girls who were excited for Christmas. The conflict of the story was solved too quickly and easily. It was rushed, and most of the book was full of filler material about; what Abby and Ellie want for Christmas, how much they love the snow and about Christmas decorations. I found it hard to become invested in the story and it worries me that it would be the same thing for a young reader.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I loved the concept of the book and the illustrations. Children are extremely visual, and the artwork in the book will capture most of their attention. The reason I can’t give this book more stars is because of Abby and Ellie’s lack of a role in solving the conflict of the story. Also, the main plot of the story, the hail storm, was rushed and the problem was easily solved. Most of the plot is simply just fluff that has little to do with the actual plot. Despite my rating, this book has some potential. I would recommend it to young readers who enjoy great visual art in their books.

The Year Heavy Hail Halted Christmas
View: on Bookshelves

Like Amagine's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

The cover is amazing. Whoever came up with the idea of a scared looking Santa is a genius. Although I live in a country where Santa isn't that big of a deal, Christmas is always a special day especially for the children. If it were cancelled, I can't imagine what the reaction would be.
However, I agree with you that Abby and Ellie should have been the heroes of the story.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This had a great concept to it. Christmas cancelled for the year? That would be horrible! It's too bad the author didn't quite develop it as well as he could have. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Thank You for reading! :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

It's a "Western" story for sure. Kids over here won't be able to relate with snows and reindeers and Santas, but it sounds enjoyable enough.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Christmas in my country is said to be the longest in the world. By July, we already hear Christmas carols on the radio. The cancellation of Christmas would be a national calamity, LOL!

This book would be a great holiday read for children in the snowy areas. Thanks for the cool review, Amagine!
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Thanks for reading, everyone! 🔅

Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Christmas is cancelled for a year? Wow, that is something new and it never crosses my mind until I read this. Yes, I agree with you about the children to be the heroes when it comes to Children's book. Thank you for this entertaining review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Another threat of preventing Christmas to happen. There is another story about that monster who stole Christmas, I can't remember what happened, but that was another story. Your review is pleasant with a light and whimsical tone to it, just very fitting for the subject matter. Great is another term for it. I like the theme, I am still a child amused with this gift-receiving aspect --- only with a slight difference, my socks are much bigger now. Thanks for your review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Sasha Walker
Currently Reading: The Lies of Locke Lamora
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasha-walker.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Sasha Walker »

I love your golden rule. The child should be the problem solver, otherwise the book is merely entertainment but doesn't teach or encourage children to solve their own problems. Thank you for your review!
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Thank you for reading! 😊

pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

I remember that I read a book similar this story. Anyway, I like the book. I want to try reading this one, too. Thanks. Happy Holiday.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

This book will be a good for children as Christmas gift. I like your review. Good job.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Children's Books”