Featured Official Review: Sigfried's Smelly Socks!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
l0wdermilk02
Currently Reading: The Gene Machine: How Genetic Technologies Are Changing the Way We Have Kids and the Kids We Have
Bookshelf Size: 10

Re: Official Review: Sigfried's Smelly Socks!

Post by l0wdermilk02 »

This review makes me want to get the book! The idea of a laugh-out-loud book about smelly things is inherently funny in and of itself!

The other thing about this is that as a culture, we seem to have a taboo regarding talking about smelly things but there are all KINDS of smelly things in our world. It sounds like this book might be a good way to break that taboo in a healthy way - by using humor!

Well written review. I think my bedroom closet might be one of the pictures!
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

This was a fun children's book with great illustrations. It's true though if people are grossed out easily, this is not the right book for them.
SaffraWhishart
Currently Reading: The Candle Room
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saffrawhishart.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by SaffraWhishart »

This is the perfect book for most boys 2-10, really. It was a little gross for me, but that's exactly what will make it appeal to them. All these forbidden gross things being openly talked about! I can imagine this being a great way especially to get a little boy interested in being read aloud to or reading himself.
SJSharks
Currently Reading: Unshaken
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by SJSharks »

I can see my young nephews finding this book hilarious. They would enjoy it very much. It really is a well done book and the illustrations are very good.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Not a member of the "grossed out" fan club and finding little or no humor in farts, I was pleasantly surprised that I really enjoyed this book. The visual illustration along with the authors vivid description of the cause of each smell, pulled me in and I was not offended by it. Having the ability to see each odor spot on the page as well as the sense of smell that was captured through the author's words, I was able to relate to how the odor would actually smell like, especially the forgotten potato. Great book and review.
Jeconiaomolo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65">Heaven and Earth</a>
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeconiaomolo.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

Thank you for this informative review. Although I'm not the target audience but I just like reading for fun. I hope I'll enjoy it.
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for"-
Socrates
Gracie777
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracie777.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gracie777 »

Thank you for your engaging review. This will be a fantastic read for my son. I love that it has beautiful artwork, that it's humorous and well illustrated. We all need some laughter, after all, they say laughter is the best medicine. This one sounds very fascinating. This makes for some laugh out loud moments with the family.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

This book seems very interesting and humorous. However, I don't have kids yet. I don't think this is for me. Great review.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
bekkirtw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bekkirtw.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by bekkirtw »

You had me at "a little gross"! I know my son and I will enjoy reading this book together, because he loves to read and he loves things that are gross and funny. I cannot wait to check out the illustrations, either. Thank you for a delightful review!
Gracie777
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracie777.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Gracie777 »

l0wdermilk02 wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 23:24 This review makes me want to get the book! The idea of a laugh-out-loud book about smelly things is inherently funny in and of itself!

The other thing about this is that as a culture, we seem to have a taboo regarding talking about smelly things but there are all KINDS of smelly things in our world. It sounds like this book might be a good way to break that taboo in a healthy way - by using humor!

Well written review. I think my bedroom closet might be one of the pictures!
True that our culture does have some smelly things that we constantly ignore or pretend that they don't exist.
Very wise of you to take this book in that level of thought.
Ennaia22
Currently Reading: A Book Without Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ennaia22.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau

Post by Ennaia22 »

this story is a child friendly one. my child enjoued reading it
Cynge42
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Cynge42 »

The illustrations really were amazing... and gross, but it got the point across. I found myself chuckling at a few things too. Mostly, I felt, when my kids were younger they would've loved this book. Now I look forward to reading to future grandchildren.
globalprince
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by globalprince »

I really hope this book will be a good book,while I use it to teach my children or little children around me in other to brought them up to have good sense and be a funny and free person.
crista claire29
Currently Reading: Dear John
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by crista claire29 »

As I was reading your point of view about "Sigfried's Smelly Socks", i could really say that this book if full of fun.I think I want to read this book because it boost my interest and at the same time, it can help me in my teaching.
Aztec34
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Aztec34 »

:D hilarious you can actually feel like his problem with stinky is more than just annoying it’s his elephant in the room.sig frieds smelly socks! Prepare to be entertained thoroughly

Return to “Children's Books”