Official Review: What's College About Anyway?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LobinyaHere
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H.
Bookshelf Size: 5

Re: Official Review: What's College About Anyway?

Post by LobinyaHere »

This made me miss my college days. I'm looking forward to reading this to relive those days and see if I was prepared back then to study what I did.
Albin shine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Albin shine »

It refresh our college memories.. T his book contain the main activities that we do in our college days. A Wonderful book
oeltell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by oeltell »

It was a great idea to write a children’s book about the importance of s college education. Helping children understand that their early ambitions can become s reality if they pursue their education.
Kayleigh Brookes
Currently Reading: Death, Taxes, and a Shotgun Wedding
Bookshelf Size: 319
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayleigh-brookes.html
Latest Review: The Second Cup by Sarah Marie Graye

Post by Kayleigh Brookes »

I think this is a great idea for a children's book! College is something that should be thought about from a young age, in my opinion. I didn't realize what I wanted to do with my life until I was almost finishing high school, and at that point in my life, it was pretty difficult to prepare for college with only a year left and finally figuring out how to go about the entire process. I think it's great that they've made this book an exciting and interesting way to learn about how college works! Great review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

It's a great idea to introduce children to college at a young age. Thanks for the review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
ekgonzales
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekgonzales.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by ekgonzales »

As a teacher, I agree that this book would be great to use during a college discussion. I do wish there was more to the plot than just the teacher giving the lecture though. Going to suggest this for our school library!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I was super pleased by the lack of punctuation and grammatical errors. This is so important for a children's book, particularly one that lauds going to college. :P Thanks for the review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I was surprised to see that this book was geared to children 4-8 years old. I would have thought it might be geared to early teenagers as they start to think about their future. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

Well, it seems like an interesting and educative short story. I wish I had read this book before I got into college, so I would have been more prepared for it. I appreciate the author's efforts to prepare kids for the college life and its expenses. Thank you for the review.
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Such a great teaching tool. Great review. I really enjoyed reading this story.
Aphroditelaughs
Currently Reading: The new wild
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aphroditelaughs.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Aphroditelaughs »

It strikes me as a bit unusual to bring up the topic of college for this age group. I do think it is neat to give kids an idea of what it is like, and I wonder if there was any mention of the fact that not everyone goes to college (and if so, whether that is presented as an acceptable option). Thank you for your thoughtful review.
Happy Bunny
Currently Reading: Not Without My Sister
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Happy Bunny »

Thanks for the review! I don't have kids of my own, or work with kids, but this book sounds very informative and helpful for kids to bring out their imaginations. I'll recommend to anyone with kids.
LaurenE
Currently Reading: Red
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by LaurenE »

I agree that the author is taking a step in the right direction trying to introduce children to the idea of college early! As a fourth grade teacher, I could easily use this book as a starting point for a class discussion about college!

However, the book is very factual. If a student was expected to read this book on their own, I could see them being bored or quickly forgetting the book. I would have liked to see the book have more of a storyline that a child could relate to. Maybe the information could come from an older sibling or cousin coming home from college for a holiday break instead of from a generic teacher. Overall, I would give the book a 3 out of 4.
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

Thank you for this review. I love the concept as well as the cover of the book. This should be read by all children. Plus, I love books that are free of errors (who doesn't).
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1887
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: What's College About Anyway?', by Betty Thomas Patterson, is descriptive not only of the contents of the book, but about all other aspects of it! The review well demonstrates that the book is a justice to our inquisitiveness!

Return to “Children's Books”