Official Review: A Star Full of Sky by Raven Howell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: A Star Full of Sky by Raven Howell

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Star Full of Sky" by Raven Howell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Star Full of Sky by Raven Howell is an illustrated collection of twenty-five poems intended for young children and early independent readers. Each poem is relatively short, typically no more than two concise stanzas, and none take up more than half a page. Further, illustrations by Caryn Schafer appear intermittently throughout the collection. Themes found throughout the poems revolve around space and scientific facts. These poems can be used as a teaching tool as well as for straight entertainment.

The author utilizes rhythm and rhyme in each poem; in fact, the poems are much more enjoyable when read out loud. The author’s rhyming added significantly to the melodic tone of each poem, and words that were rhymed together never felt forced. Additionally, the author imbues her prose with a magical, almost effervescent, feel. This collection is truly written just as much for adults to enjoy as it is for children.

I was most impressed with the subject matter of this book. The poems focus on space, planets and the universe, and they include historical and scientific terms that will definitely get children and adults thinking. Galileo, UFOs, the galaxy, comets and what they are made of, Pluto and it’s demotion from planet status, constellations, the horizon, cumulous clouds, and black holes are just some of the topics introduced in this collection of poems. Not only will these subjects spark conversation between children and parents, they will also get children thinking about topics they might have no previous knowledge of. This book provides a fun way for children to begin learning about science and gain excitement about the topic.

The illustrations are simple images drawn in black and white. At first, I’d hoped for more from the images since the cover of the book is bright and intricately drawn. However, as I read through the collection of poems, I found the illustrations perfectly complement the author’s words. The simplicity of the drawings ensures they do not distract from the lyrical prose and intriguing content of each poem. Further, the poems are quite short, so the basic drawings are just enough to capture the attention of a young reader without distracting them from the words on the page.

As an adult, I found these poems incredibly enjoyable. Although they are short, they pack a lot of information and curiosity into their words. I found myself considering each poem and analyzing them in-depth. I can see how curiously fun each of these poems would be for a young child. However, I do recommend these poems be read with a parent or adult because children will surely have questions about the meaning of some of the terms used throughout the poetry. A Star Full of Sky earns a full 4 out of 4 stars, and I applaud the author for finding a unique and fun way to introduce young children to the joys of scientific exploration!

A Star Full of Sky
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Sounds like a fun read, and I'm especially intrigued at the thought of poetry using words based in astronomy. What a wonderful way to learn!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds very fun. A good way to introduce young readers to poetry. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Scientific exploration through poems? I wish I had such a fun way of learning when I was a kid. This is a book should be available to all children of school going age.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
bunihizi
Currently Reading: Ironclad Clay Part 2
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bunihizi.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by bunihizi »

wow i won't wish much because am old now for this book but to my little siblings, this makes them love poetry and get the need to know more about many features which are astronomical like black holes and they will be so inquisitive but all in all it brings joy and love to read more among children.
princesswine
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by princesswine »

Can't wait to read this book. But how? It's my first time here and Im really happy to stumbled on this this site. Can someone teach me how to have this book?
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

Sounds very enjoyable! While I'm usually turned off by poems that rhyme, it makes sense that Howell would employ basic and appealing poetic structures since the book is geared toward kids. I also love the subject matter includes celestial observations. Would love to check this book out.

Return to “Children's Books”