Do you read aloud to older children?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Homeschooled
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Do you read aloud to older children?

Post by Homeschooled »

It is important for children to learn how to read well from a young age and to maintain/improve their reading skills as they grow older. Nevertheless, it’s not necessary for an adult to read to older children. However, if the kids read out loud to themselves or to others, it is an excellent way to excel in public communications. Communicating well is one of the most important skills to have in life for getting a job and relaying your thoughts for others to understand.
Robbie292009
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Robbie292009 »

My son is 8 years old and I still read to him every night. He helps read a couple sentences. He is struggling a little in reading and it helps him read more.
Annony11

Post by Annony11 »

Yes, definitely! I teach upper elementary and love reading aloud to my class. In my personal life, we didn’t have a dishwasher when I was growing up and my chore was to wash the dishes. My mom read a number of classics to me while I did the dishes. Even though I’m an avid reader, I might not have read those particular books had she not read them to me.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I believe that if a child likes to hear a story, then they should be read one. There is no shame in hearing a good story read to you, especially if you just can't take the time to read and look at the pages. Hence why audiobooks exist. It can also help encourage imagination as children get older.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Xelor23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Xelor23 »

I was wondering when I should I start reading Harry Potter with my son. He's 4.5 years old.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Older children are too controversial. I tried it once and all I could see written on their faces is B-O-R-E-D-O-M. I could also hear the occasional sighs as if telling me to finish up quickly so that they can embark on more interesting endeavors. In addition, the older kids in my region listen to your pronunciations more than listening to the content.
AdamRedWolf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamredwolf.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by AdamRedWolf »

I don't recall how old I was, but probably in the 8-13 range when my dad used to read to me and my two brothers before bed. He introduced us to books like The Hobbit that were too difficult for us to read on our own.

We used to love when my dad would read us books out of our ability range, because while they were difficult to read, they were not difficult to understand. Books like that helped shape our imaginations for a lifetime!
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
- Bokonon (Kurt Vonnegut), Cat's Cradle
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

As a middle school teacher, I read to 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. Usually, when I read aloud a book for them, I want to promote the joy of reading so I read, and I ask a few questions for conversation, but I don't test them on any of it. I let them draw or color while I read. At the end of a book, they are required to do some sort of response, but I try to keep the culmination projects fun too.

My own children I read aloud to until they decided they didn't want me to anymore, which was late elementary. I was able to keep them listening to audiobooks beyond that though as they could play that on their ipods as they fell asleep. My oldest, at 17, still listens to audiobooks to fall asleep.
tgoatley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tgoatley.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by tgoatley »

I have a 7 year old and I will still read to him, but he also reads to me. We will take turns reading books.
Nightrainbows

Post by Nightrainbows »

I think if your child enjoys you reading out loud then you should and why not ask your little reader to read out loud a story to or with you.
Liana Mayhew
Favorite Book: The Orb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liana-mayhew.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Liana Mayhew »

My oldest is 11 and occasionally I still read aloud to her. Not because she needs me too, (she's a strong reader herself) but because it's quality time we share together. We love cuddling up and sharing a good book. And now she's older, she has started doing the same with her 2 younger sisters.
ahamers30

Post by ahamers30 »

I think that reading to older children is important. It encourages them to read more and created bonding time between you and your child. In my experience older children who don’t like to read choose to read more and want to read more when they are into a book that is being read. Also older children who don’t like to read may like it better when they aren’t the ones reading.

Return to “Children's Books”