Official Review: Badman:The Ghost of King John by Peter Tye

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: Badman:The Ghost of King John by Peter Tye

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Badman:The Ghost of King John" by Peter Tye.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Peter Tye brings history to life in his novel Badman: The Ghost of King James. In an epic tale which crosses through time to medieval England, the story is enthralling from start to finish.

When Nick and Fiona move into Lamford Manor with their parents, little did they know that their lives were about to change forever. Lamford Manor has been haunted by a mystery ghost for as long as anyone can remember, terrifying it’s many occupants over the years. Edna, the cleaning lady, has had many encounters and has learnt how to cope with it’s ominous presence. Nick, however, is determined to learn who the ghost is and together with Edna, Fiona and their great aunt Daphne, they uncover clues left by the ghost. They stumble on a series of hidden tunnels and are transported back in time to 1216, right at the end of King John’s reign.

Caught up in the turmoil of King John’s last days, Nick and Fiona help the current Lamford Manor family as best they can against treachery, mercenaries and attack. Medieval England is certainly more life threatening than in 2016 but, amongst all the danger, will they be able to finally discover who the ghost of the Manor is and put him to rest, or will they be trapped in 1216 forever?

This was a brilliant, well researched story and I found it very difficult to put down. Written in third person, the story starts with Nick and Fiona, but is interspersed with chapters set in 1216. These follow the story of Sir Ralph and his son, Hugh, who were the inhabitants of Lamford Manor at this time. This layout helps to set the scene as well as provide a balanced history of the political situation and the characters involved.

All the characters were three dimensional and realistic, from the main core characters to those who played the smallest part. Nick, at 10 years old is an over enthusiastic history buff who is overjoyed at the fact that he is able to experience history first hand, while Edna as a stoic, no nonsense woman provides a much needed balance to his enthusiasm. Sir Ralph’s character was utilised well to show how many people of medieval England were pulled in multiple directions, sometimes needing to choose between loyalty to the king or the safety of their own family. The amount of research undertaken for this book was very evident in the quality of the portrayal of these characters.

Categorised as a children’s book, I would say that it is much more aimed at those over 10 years old as, although the story is easy to read and flows along quickly, there are fight scenes which do involve bloodshed. The writing style of the author does not patronise its young readers and would be an excellent way to get younger people interested in history.

My only criticism is with the editing. There were multiple punctuation errors of missing commas and speech marks. Although it didn’t affect my enjoyment of the story, it would definitely benefit from one last go through with the editor.

This book took me completely by surprise with its quality of storytelling and I would love to give it full stars. However, there were just too many punctuation errors to let slide, so I will rate it at 3 out of 4 stars. This is a great book for young and old who are interested in English history and adventure. I look forward to more books from this author.

Badman:The Ghost of King John
View: on Bookshelves

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I thought about reviewing this one myself, but I just wasn't sure. Now I'm wishing I did! Thanks for the lovely review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I thought about reviewing it too! It sounds like it would be a fun read. It might be one for me to read with one of my nephews. He's really into this kind of stuff, so it would be nice bonding time.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

Thanks! I was a bit wary of reviewing it as it was categorised as children's, but I'm so glad I did.
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

I love good historical fiction. This one sounds like it is too young for me and too old for my kids but thanks for the review!
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

Thank you for all your attention to detail in putting forward this one. I saw this one and just passed it, but i think I'll take a reroute. Time travelling annd historical fiction are just up my alley! Thanks for a great review!
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Abfaniki
Currently Reading: Arturo Riojas
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abfaniki.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Abfaniki »

l love history books more especially those of English (England) themes, is always fun to read about the politics surrounding their Royal family.
Nice review!
opinion is like ass, everyone has one and it's full of sh*t. :D :lol: :o :(
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Love the premise and seems like a nice book to get children started with reading. It's a shame there are so many punctuation errors. I really find such things distracting and usually distract me from the writing.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

I didn't know this would be a children's book, but it really need a better cover. Medieval England is never a boring theme, but I hope the violence scenes weren't too graphic. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I enjoyed this review, well-done! Stories about ghosts are very likely to get the attention of not only very young readers, but also adults who are into children's literatures. I am one of such adults.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Return to “Children's Books”