Official Review: Tiny Makes a Friend by Eva Schmidler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Tiny Makes a Friend by Eva Schmidler

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tiny Makes a Friend" by Eva Schmidler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tiny Makes a Friend by Eva Schmidler is a chapter book geared towards early, independent readers. The story is separated into four chapters chronicling the friendship between a mouse, Tiny, and a tiger, Toby, living on a nature reserve. The two start out as strangers and quickly become quick friends after Tiny bravely enters Toby’s cage. The rest of the story focuses on the maturation of the unlikely pair as well as the evolvement of their friendship.

The illustrations in Tiny Makes a Friend are subtle and don’t serve as the main focus of the book. Rather, the black and white, sketch-like drawings usually take up less than half a page and act as a basic visual aid. The images convey important scenes and characters from the story; however, they are more an accessory to the narrative than an important element of the book. That being said, the ratio between illustrations and wording, along with the illustrator’s refrain from childish images is impressive and clearly considers the maturity level of the older audience this book caters to.

The story of Tiny the Mouse and Toby the Tiger is wholesome and engaging. The unlikely pair serve well as a means for conveying messages about friendship, overcoming differences, trust, and the realities of growing up. The topics in this book are nothing new, yet the author provides a more in-depth look at these themes than one would expect to find in a typical picture book. For example, when Toby is going through a particularly rough time with his new handler, the story stresses that by simply listening to Toby's explanation of his problems and trying to empathize with his feelings, Tiny is a great comfort to his friend.

At approximately seventy pages, this picture book is more suitable for young, independent readers or early readers helped along by an adult. The story of Tiny and Toby is followed by a set of twenty discussion questions related to the main themes and events in the story. The author’s use of language, illustrations and discussion questions are appropriate for the suggested age of seven to twelve-year-olds; however, some of the subject matter and writing may seem juvenile for readers at the older end of the suggested age range.

Tiny Makes a Friend is a refreshing read that will be enjoyed by children and adults alike. The author does a wonderful job handling the subject matter and illustrations in a more complicated manner than is typical of the genre. For the well-rounded story, simplistically-mature illustrations, and thoughtful discussion questions, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This book is sure to appeal to young, independent readers wishing to challenge their reading abilities with a beginner chapter book.

Tiny Makes a Friend
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rich1996
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rich1996 »

Mmm interesting. The idea of a mouse and a Tiger being friends that's special.. Will be interested in reading this book.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Goes to show that we all have something to contribute in society.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Sophie Paul

Post by Sophie Paul »

This is awesome.Tiny and Toby?
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like the cover of this one. It looks like a great story. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
perly buyao dioquino
Currently Reading: Broken Heart
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by perly buyao dioquino »

its a wonderful story,it tells about trust and respect despite of thier differences...
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

I love it when authors use animals to teach strong morals. It goes well with the kids. Thanks for the review, MariaRose.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

I usually encounter children's books with 30 pages or less. The book must be interesting enough to keep up with the attention span of children. Thank you for the review.
-rk
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

this sounds really good! I'd like to read this book to my daughter.
MINEbtc712
Currently Reading: Tiny Makes a Friend

Post by MINEbtc712 »

i would like to read and review this book can anyone tell me how to do it.
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Post by Penny Lee »

The concept of being able to help and comfort others just by listening to them is important for children and adults alike to remember. This sounds like a delightful book. Thanks for the informative review.
Littera scripta manet -- the written word remains.
Juliet Esther
Currently Reading: That place of knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-esther.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Juliet Esther »

Children's book, this should be perfect for my little sister, I understand it kinds of teaches the value of friendship and the fact that it even has illustrated images makes it perfect for you readers. Nice review
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
EunIce Ngeny

Post by EunIce Ngeny »

The cover of the book is so eye catching you will want to know the whole story.

Return to “Children's Books”