Official Review: There's a Polar Bear in the Fridge

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: There's a Polar Bear in the Fridge

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "There's a Polar Bear in the Fridge" by Gypsy Wulff.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever heard a strange noise coming from somewhere in the house, and when you went to inspect there wasn't anything out of the ordinary? Imagine instead if you heard an odd noise coming from your fridge, so you slowly went over to check it out and discovered that there was a Polar Bear inside! Now imagine that instead of mauling you or running away in fear the bear had a conversation with you about climate change!

That's exactly what happens in There's a Polar Bear in the Fridge by Gypsy Wulff. The book is comprised of two sections - the story of the Polar Bear in the fridge and a section on how you can help protect the environment. The first section is made up of full-page illustrations, the text is all in rhyme and it's some of the best, most natural rhyming I've seen in a children's book. The story is silly, sure, but it also covers why this Polar Bear had to make its way to the young boy's fridge, and that involves learning about the polar ice caps melting!

The second section of the book is made up of tips that kids and adults can follow to help protect the environment. These include things like turning the lights off when you leave a room, recycling and turning off the water while brushing your teeth, and most of them have little illustrations next to them as well.

The art in the book is excellent. The full-page illustrations are especially fantastic: they're colorful, vibrant, sharp and detailed. In the second section, the smaller illustrations are nice as well, although they don't pop as much since the backgrounds are plain white. Overall, illustrator Ryan Jones did a stellar job!

For those who want to protect the environment and want to teach their kids to do the same (or even those who just want to convince their kids to turn the darn lights off when they leave the room!) I highly recommend There's a Polar Bear in the Fridge by Gypsy Wulff. It's cute, it's colorful, the writing is some of the best I've ever seen in a children's book and it was fun to read while teaching a lesson. It is rather on the short side (11 pages in the first section and 3 in the second), but it's still an awesome book. My official rating is 4 out of 4 stars.

There's a Polar Bear in the Fridge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

Interesting. If that book actually convinces my kids (if I were to have any) to turn the damn lights off when they leave the room, the book deserves a 5 star. Thank you for the review.
-rk
batkinson6490
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Illustrated Edition
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batkinson6490.html
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by batkinson6490 »

I love reading your reviews! You give so much detail and honest opinion! You are super witty as well! I want to read this book as I currently have kids who give no care about the environment even though we are trying to hard to teach them!

Is it so hard to turn off a light?!? I should think not!
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times when one only remembers to turn on the light."
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley

Return to “Children's Books”