Official Review: ABC 123 Color Animal Kid

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Official Review: ABC 123 Color Animal Kid

Post by Amagine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "ABC 123 Color Animal Kid" by Irene Jane Holmes.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Every parent want their children to learn the concepts. Learning the letters, numbers and colors, are just as important in a child’s development as being able to tie their shoes. In Irene Holmes’s book, ABC 123 Color Animal Kid, little Mikey takes readers on an adventure through the forest. In the forest, readers discover different colors, animals and can count how many of those animals they see.

The first thing I noticed was the title. The title is a mouthful and not very creative. Despite the title, the front cover of the book is charming enough to lure parents or children into being curious. Once the book is open, well, that’s a different story. When looking at the pages, it is apparent that this book isn’t professionally done. It has the look of a book that was created on a free website. The images aren’t clear and the animals look as if they had been pasted on the page.

In the book, readers are introduced to Mikey as he travels through the forest. While Mikey is a very cute child, I bring up again, the book is unprofessionally done. On every page, there is the same image of Mikey, in the same pose, with the same adorable smile. I had the thought that this book must have been made specifically for the little boy whose picture we see. If that is the case, then this isn’t a book that should be marketed to others. Also, there were grammatical errors in the book concerning Mikey’s name. In some pages, he was “Mickey.” On most pages, he was “Mikey.” I’m simply going to continue using, “Mikey.” That was the name I saw the most in the book.

The main purpose of the book is to teach children their concepts. It accomplishes that goal to an extent. Towards the middle of the book, when the numbers became higher and more animals were on a page, it became harder to count them. The pasted-on animals were so bunched in on a single page that a parent and child would strain their eyes trying to count them. The animals, perhaps, should have had a number over the heads which would have made it easier to count. The images on the page could have also been bigger.

I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. I give it one star because it tries to teach children their alphabet, numbers, colors and animals. The problem with the book is that it is of poor quality. The images aren’t clear and pictures are pasted on in every page. Also, it is a serious problem when you can’t get the spelling of the main character’s name right. If I had to recommend it, then it is appropriate for ages 2-6. The book seemed as if it was personally made for a certain child and that child only. I believe that it should stay that way.

ABC 123 Color Animal Kid
View: on Bookshelves

Like Amagine's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

Hi,
I hope your candid review will serve as a starting basis for the author to do the needed corrections.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
RosesReviews
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by RosesReviews »

Thank you for sharing your review of this book. As a grandmother, I am looking for books to share with my grandson. When I'm in a book store there are basic things that I look for when scanning a children's book. A book is only given a brief amount of time to grab the reader's interest in a store. The suggestions given sound like they would enhance the graphics in this book,making it a more enjoyable reading experience.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Chrys Brobbey wrote:Hi,
I hope your candid review will serve as a starting basis for the author to do the needed corrections.
I hope so as well. The book had some potential. I liked the purpose of the book which was to teach children the concepts. I just wasn't pleased at how poorly made it was. It would have been much better if the author had found a illustrator to draw the illustrations rather than copy and paste from a computer.

Thanks for reading!

-- 05 Apr 2017, 19:28 --
RosesReviews wrote:Thank you for sharing your review of this book. As a grandmother, I am looking for books to share with my grandson. When I'm in a book store there are basic things that I look for when scanning a children's book. A book is only given a brief amount of time to grab the reader's interest in a store. The suggestions given sound like they would enhance the graphics in this book,making it a more enjoyable reading experience.
Yes, I'm the same way when I'm looking for books for my classroom. You want children to read quality books. You want a child to experience a great story with amazing illustrations that correlate together well. If I see a book that looks like it was made in ten minutes, I'm not interested. I wouldn't want any child to read a book that didn't have the most care or effort put into its creation.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

This could be a good book for kids if it was better executed. Too bad it fell flat. I agree that children should read quality books, especially books that teach them stuff. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

gali wrote:This could be a good book for kids if it was better executed. Too bad it fell flat. I agree that children should read quality books, especially books that teach them stuff. Thank you for the review!
Thank you for reading! :D

Some people feel that as long as children are reading anything that's all that matters. I agree with that to an extent. I agree that getting children to read is the most important, even if it is the back of a milk carton. Despite that, I think people should still care about what children are reading rather than if they are reading at all. Quality is extremely important.

KaylaA
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylaa.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by KaylaA »

Thank you for your review! I am always trying to find new books to read to my daughter and what catches my eye first is the cover. I agree that the title is too long and that may deter me from opening it. I find that my daughter will keep reading a book if the illustrations are colorful, interactive, and simple. If it is difficult for her to count, then she will just find something else to do.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Gennalyndimailig
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Gennalyndimailig »

I love this Book. I can share it to my little man when he grown up
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, it's a good concept. Unfortunately there are many books out there that do this. If you want to be successful, you're going to have to do it well and add something unique. It doesn't sound like this fits the bill. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Thanks for reading you guys! ???

Marivic08
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Marivic08 »

As a mom I am always trying to find a new books to my sons.. The one that I noticed is there were grammatical errors like Mikey's name sometimes in the other page is Mickey.. But your book is a good concept..
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Marivic08 wrote:As a mom I am always trying to find a new books to my sons.. The one that I noticed is there were grammatical errors like Mikey's name sometimes in the other page is Mickey.. But your book is a good concept..
Yes, I love the concept of the book. It just needed better execution.

Thanks for reading!

Return to “Children's Books”