Official Review: Jabulani by Jonathan Stotler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Official Review: Jabulani by Jonathan Stotler

Post by Amagine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jabulani" by Jonathan Stotler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Children are introduced to many wonderful things that becomes a part of their lives. They are introduced to their culture and heritage. They also become accustomed to family and a sense of community. In Jabulani, by Jonathan Stoler, we are introduced to Jabulani’s community and South African culture. This brilliantly covered picture book, takes us on a trip into Jabulani’s heritage. We learn about his culture, his family and how small acts of kindness can have a huge and positive impact.

The cover was the first thing that caught my eye as I found it very appealing. The cover page spoke volumes about what the story would entail with the bright color scheme representing the character’s culture and the detailed imagery in the background. In fact, all the illustrations in the book were well drawn. Children learn just as well from pictures as they do from words. Young readers can really get a visual insight into Jabulani’s community just by looking at the images. They can feel as if they really took a trip to South Africa to witness all its magnificence.

The plot was well paced and the story was both enlightening and informative. It was enlightening because of the small lessons given throughout the story on the theme of kindness. The author wanted to make sure that children gain important tips that can help them to one day make a positive impact on someone else. It was informative, because in the story, children are exposed to a different culture outside of their own. The author introduces new words from Jabulani’s culture and cleverly puts them in a simplified context that children will be able to understand. Another thing to note, I loved that at the end of the story, he had separate pages with a reader’s guide and a glossary. I thought they were an excellent touch.

Jabulani is an individual that children should be introduced to. In the books, he opens children’s minds to interesting things and different ways of living. He also serves as a great role model as he demonstrates kindness and love for his community all throughout the book. He is proud of his heritage and after reading this story, children can feel a sense of pride about their own as well.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is an excellent book for children aged, 6-9. The illustrations are well done, the plot is enlightening and there is so much to learn and be gained from the story. If I had to give a negative, it would be that at times, I felt the story was a little too lengthy. Besides that, this is a book I would recommend teachers to have in their classrooms and families to have in their homes.

Jabulani
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Amagine's review? Post a comment saying so!
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

The cover of the book is inviting. Jabulani will inspire the young to study and understand other cultures. African culture is full of mysteries.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:The cover of the book is inviting. Jabulani will inspire the young to study and understand other cultures. African culture is full of mysteries.
It is very inviting and pleasing to the eye. I loved how just by looking at the cover you can get a real sense of Jabulani's culture. I hope that this book encourages young readers to explore other cultures outside of their own. Thank you for reading!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

Thank you for the review! Helps me in recommending this book for the children that I know of!
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

va2016 wrote:Thank you for the review! Helps me in recommending this book for the children that I know of!
Thank you for reading! :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown

Return to “Children's Books”