Encyclopedia Brown

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Encyclopedia Brown

Post by kandscreeley »

Do you any of you guys remember this series? I used to love these books. It's a great mystery series for pre-teens. Are these still around?
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
RosesReviews
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by RosesReviews »

The Encyclopedia Brown series is a nice mystery series. A couple of years ago, I found books from this series, at the house still, from when the girls were growing up. It was nice to be able to pass these treasures on the their children, who are devouring this series. What a great memory, and you are correct, The Enclyclopedia Brown series is a great mystery series for the young reader. Thank you.
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

Yes, its still around, but its not as popular nowadays (I know since I work in a library and can see the popularity of certain titles and from general internet book forums I'm on). Other popular children's mysteries are Nate the Great, Cam Jansen, Jigsaw Jones, and the newer versions of the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew for younger audiences.

I did enjoy Encyclopedia Brown somewhat though. It had some decent mysteries from what I recall. Other series I liked with similar structures of a mystery per chapter are Einstein Anderson, which is science based, and the Clue JR series which I found enjoyable as a kid.

Also, Wolfgang Ecke was another fun author of mysteries, but his works are hard to find.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I absolutely adored this series when I was young, and even now I have a love of mystery books and trying to solve them. I considered it a great challenge to get them right and I'd get SO angry with myself when I was wrong! I think this series is exactly why I can now read mystery novels and figure them out long before I probably should, not to mention why I watch crime shows on TV and nitpick when things aren't 'just so'.

But, ah, the joys of youth.
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

I was a bigger Hard Boys fan, but also read all the Encyclopedia Browns. Thanks for reminding me of some fond memories!

Return to “Children's Books”