If Kids Ran the World by Leo and Diane Dillon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
FFM2016
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ffm2016.html

If Kids Ran the World by Leo and Diane Dillon

Post by FFM2016 »

I would like to recommend this book for reading by everyone in light of recent world events.

This book, written by two-time Caldecott Medalist winners, Leo and Diane Dillon, was the last work by these amazing authors. Leo died during the writing of the book but his wife continued and persevered in order to get it published.

The book tells the story of how the world would work if kids ran it. It touches on various challenges faced by our world including environmental pollution, war, gender inequality, bullying, housing difficulties, religious intolerance and poverty. The book says in a positive way that if kids ran the world, these problems would not exist.

Whilst some consider the story naive and inadequate, my daughter and I used it to explore the deeper meanings. If children were taught to respect the environment, then our oceans would not be filled with trash and we would have a healthier world for us and the animals and plants we share it with. If children did not see adults acting with hatred towards other adults due to differences in skin color or religion or in their clothing, they would not see the differences in a negative way and there would be less strife, less war, less fighting.

I was teased as a child for not recognizing that a friend must have been adopted and not be her parents' biological child. I could not see why her dark skin against their pale skin meant she must be from different parents. It never mattered to them and so it never mattered to me.

This book is an excellent book for talking about diversity and tolerance in the classrooms and in the home. I hope that every child in the world gets the chance to read this and see that they are our future and we need to let them lead the way. Kids may be innocent but they can teach us adults a lot!

FFM2016
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This book sounds like it'll be a funny but inspiring read to children. Especially because the message is that children are so innocent that they wouldn't cause wars like adults too. It is something to think about.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald

Return to “Children's Books”