Official Review: The Ten Story Collection by Patricia May

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Re: Official Review: The Ten Story Collection by Patricia Ma

Post by Amagine »

I love the concept of the book! A meditation book for children? How original and unique! It is also very much needed. People assume that children don't experience stress because they are children but that is not the case at all. Children experience the same emotions adults do and it's time that people realize that. I appreciate this author for coming up with a book to help children calm their feelings and relax.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Amagine wrote:I love the concept of the book! A meditation book for children? How original and unique! It is also very much needed. People assume that children don't experience stress because they are children but that is not the case at all. Children experience the same emotions adults do and it's time that people realize that. I appreciate this author for coming up with a book to help children calm their feelings and relax.
It's a great concept. Thank you for commenting. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I agree! This is such a unique concept! Forget using this for children; I think I might need this for myself! I could use something like this to help me unwind after a long day!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gali

Post by gali »

kandscreeley wrote:I agree! This is such a unique concept! Forget using this for children; I think I might need this for myself! I could use something like this to help me unwind after a long day!
Indeed, it isn't just for kids. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
RosesReviews
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by RosesReviews »

I don't usually think of meditation in relation to children, but in this day and age, it seems as though children also have a hard time unwinding. It seems that some mothers , in the past, were a head of their time, when it came to relaxation at bedtime. To have a bedtime routine, to start winding down with no television after a certain time of night, a relaxing bath, and finally listening to mother reading a soothing,almost lyrical bedtime story, was the norm for many children.

Yes, larger print would be good for a parent trying to read this book, especially if in dimmed lighting, which should help a child unwind after a long day.

It has been reported that there are some schools that are using meditation with children that are having issues at school, and seem to be having some success with this method.

Your review makes this book seem like a wonderful addition to a bedtime routine. Thank you very much.
gali

Post by gali »

RosesReviews wrote:I don't usually think of meditation in relation to children, but in this day and age, it seems as though children also have a hard time unwinding. It seems that some mothers , in the past, were a head of their time, when it came to relaxation at bedtime. To have a bedtime routine, to start winding down with no television after a certain time of night, a relaxing bath, and finally listening to mother reading a soothing,almost lyrical bedtime story, was the norm for many children.

Yes, larger print would be good for a parent trying to read this book, especially if in dimmed lighting, which should help a child unwind after a long day.

It has been reported that there are some schools that are using meditation with children that are having issues at school, and seem to be having some success with this method.

Your review makes this book seem like a wonderful addition to a bedtime routine. Thank you very much.
Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I practiced yoga and pilates for a couple of years at YMCA, but then I had to move out and I didn't continue with the classes. While reading your review about this book, I remembered how renovated I felt after each class. I'm going to try to find a place where I can retake yoga classes again. Thanks for your honest comments in your review!
gali

Post by gali »

Kalin Adi wrote:I practiced yoga and pilates for a couple of years at YMCA, but then I had to move out and I didn't continue with the classes. While reading your review about this book, I remembered how renovated I felt after each class. I'm going to try to find a place where I can retake yoga classes again. Thanks for your honest comments in your review!
Good luck and thank you.
A retired Admin/Mod

Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

I love the idea of introducing meditation to children at an early age. This would help them to be better prepared for the upcoming challenges.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

What a beautiful review
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

It's difficult to handle stressed out kids. I like that this book provides a solution for that.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mary WhiteFace
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

I love the concept. Thank you for doing the review. I've known of children who meditate, yet I didn't realize that there was a book available just for them.

Using a seashell is a unique idea. Meditation by the ocean is so calming. Seashells are the next best thing to being there.

Nice review 💕
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I have been looking for something like this for ages! I like doing guided meditation myself, and want to get my kids into it as well!
I think this would be perfect for kids who are anxious.
Great review!
Fairyland1010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Fairyland1010 »

Can’t wait to read this book. I’ll get it for my child. Every kid should read this cause every kid needs to learn how to relax and slow down . Enjoy life. Thanks for the recommendation!
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

It's very adorable that you read this book with your son and enjoyed it. It does sound like an interesting one. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Children's Books”